Carpooling at UOW - '3 for free'
Carpool to campus to meet people, save money and reduce your carbon footprint. Carpooling with three or more people will entitle you to free parking on campus in the Western Car Park (P4)! Free carpool parking in P4 operates from 7:30am to 5:45pm Monday to Thursday, Friday 7.30am - 3pm, and out of session from 7.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday. The carpooling area is available for staff, students and visitors to the campus, as long as you are travelling with three people per car (including children).
Four reasons to carpool
- It’s cost effective. No one likes to pay for petrol. Share travelling expenses and save on parking costs, car insurance, repairs and maintenance as well.
- It’s more environmentally friendly. For most people, driving is the single biggest contributor to their carbon footprint. This means that cutting down on driving is the biggest action you can take to make your life more sustainable.
- It’s safer. Fewer cars on the roads means less traffic congestion and accidents.
- It’s fun! Share the journey with your friends or get to know other people on campus. Turn down that radio and bring a little fun and conversation to your morning drive.
Online carpool matching
Don't know who to carpool with? Try our carpool matching system at CarpoolWorld. The system is free to use to find a carpool or share your own. Its up to you to work out if you want to share the driving duties or petrol expenses. Connect to CarpoolWorld in one click using your Facebook account or register using your UOW email address.
Note: The University of Wollongong has provided this link to the CarpoolWorld site on the understanding that the users of CarpoolWorld will be communicating directly with CarpoolWorld. The University of Wollongong expressly disclaims any liability arising from your use of the CarpoolWorld website, including liability arising from your voluntary provision of information to CarpoolWorld and CarpoolWorld’s use of that information, and expressly disclaims any liability arising from the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained on the CarpoolWorld website. The University of Wollongong recommends that you exercise your own skill and care regarding your use of the CarpoolWorld website. Please be aware that any information you provide to CarpoolWorld will be stored and used according to CarpoolWorld's policies.
Golden rules of carpooling
- Make sure everyone agrees on the basics, such as how often you’ll carpool, who has a vehicle, and whether you will rotate driving.
- Settle on how costs will be shared in advance.
- Don’t be late! Agree on pick-up places and times, and decide how long you’ll wait for latecomers.
- Communicate with your fellow carpoolers – let them know if you do happen to run a few minutes late or if you can’t carpool on a particular day.
- Drive safely at all times.
- Allow each person to express their opinions on things like radio choices, side-trips and whether it’s ok to eat/drink/smoke while carpooling.
Three for free and fair for all
The '3 For Free' carpooling scheme is intended to give students travelling from outside the surrounding neighbourhood access to free parking on campus. It’s aimed at those for whom public transport options are not readily available or where it’s not realistic to walk or cycle. It’s also intended to reduce the number of cars parking at the Uni and in the surrounding streets out of fairness to local residents, while reducing petrol consumption and our environmental footprint.
Don't get blacklisted
Picking up people on campus or in the local streets is abusing the system. It’s meant for those who have genuinely travelled to campus together from outside the surrounding neighbourhood. Drivers and passengers looking for carpool parking who have been seen picking up additional passengers in the vicinity of the University will be blacklisted and refused free parking for the rest of the semester.
No formal carpooling arrangements currently exist at other UOW campuses, but don't let that stop you! Carpooling is still easy and a great thing to do regardless of where you are studying.