English Language Requirements
To gain entry to UOW, you need to demonstrate that you meet the UOW English language requirements for your chosen course. UOW accepts results in major international tests, including IELTS, TOEFL, Pearsons, Cambridge and OET for some health-related courses*.
The language requirements for each course are found the relevant course information page on Course Finder – look for the ‘International students’ tab under the ‘Admission, Key dates, and Fees’ heading. If you are using Pearsons or Cambridge tests, use the equivalence to IELTS tables to determine the required score.
Requirements may also be met in some cases if you have previous study in English.
Students applying for a study abroad, exchange or a visiting research practicum program should check under the application criteria for these programs.
How long do I need to study English?
If you do not already meet the English requirements for your chosen course, you can complete an English course at UOW College Australia. UOW also recognises English language courses offered by some other colleges in Sydney - contact UOW Future Students for details.
A guide to the length of English course you may need to study is provided below. Please note that this table should only be considered a guide. Lower scores in Writing may mean that you'll need to study English for longer.
|Score at time of application||Estimated time required to reach entry score (weeks)|
|Level||IELTS||TOEFL (paper/ internet)||IELTS 5.0||IELTS 5.5||IELTS 6.0||IELTS 6.5||IELTS 7.0|
|Advanced||6.5||575 / 88||12|
|6.0||550 / 79||6 *||12||18|
|5.5||525 / 70||6 #||12||18||24|
|Intermediate||5.0||500 / 61||12||18||24||30|
|4.5||475 / 52||12||18||24||30||36|
|Lower intermediate||4.0||450 / 45||18||24||30||36||42|
|3.5||425 / 38||24||30||36||42||48|
|Elementary||3.0||375 / 24||30||36||42||48||48+|
# for students with 5.5 overall, but less than 5.0 in reading or writing
* for students with 6.0 overall, but 5.5 in either reading or writing
For entry into English for Tertiary Studies or English for Business, you must have the required IELTS or equivalent test result. If you do not have an IELTS or equivalent, you can be offered English for Academic Purposes with a minimum duration of 24 weeks.
Other English language assessments
The following Cambridge ESOL Examinations are acceptable:
|Overall score||IELTS academic||Cambridge English: advanced (CAE) pre-2015||Cambridge English: proficiency (CPE) pre-2015||Cambridge English: CAE & CPE (from 2015)|
OET - Occupational English Test
OET is accepted for courses related to *Nursing, Exercise Science and Nutrition & Dietetics.
Bachelor of Nursing
Bachelor of Nutrition Science
Pearson test of English
The following will be acceptable on the PTE Academic:
|Overall score||Minimum communicative skill scores||IELTS equivalent|
|42||Reading & Writing 42, Speaking & Listening 36||5.0|
|49||All bands 43||5.5|
|57||Reading & Writing 57, Speaking and Listening 50||6.0|
|64||*All bands 57||6.5|
|72||Reading & Writing 72, Speaking & Listening 65||7.0|
Applicants may meet the English language requirement based on successful study in English medium in Australia or offshore.
Study in Australia or Australian Qualifications Offshore
Successful completion of the following qualifications may satisfy the University's English language requirement:
- Year 12 in Australia, or any Australian Year 12 qualification completed offshore;
- ** Foundation Studies, Certificate IV or Diploma with a minimum duration of one year (full-time) completed in Australia; or any of these qualifications completed at an Australian institution offshore;
- ** At least one year (full-time) of study toward a Bachelor or Masters degree in Australia, or at an Australian institution offshore.
** For students applying for Bachelor of Nursing and the Bachelor of Nursing for Overseas Qualified Nurses, these exceptions do not apply. Students must meet English conditions by providing their IELTS, TOEFL, OET, or PTE results, equivalent to IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 7.0 in each band.
Students can also meet the English requirements through recognised English language studies at Australian institutions, provided they meet the IELTS equivalence as stated above to have satisfied course entry.
Other Qualifications Completed in English
Applicants may be considered as meeting the English language requirements if successfully completing two (2) years of secondary or tertiary study at an approved institution where:
- the language of instruction was English; and
- the institution is located in a country where the official language is English.
The following citizenships may be considered for an English language waiver under the above guideline: Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Fiji, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, UK, USA.
Academic transcripts and an official letter from the institution certifying that English was the sole language of instruction and assessment must be provided. Previous study in English is considered on a case-by-case basis and does not automatically meet UOW's English language requirement.
Higher Degree Research (HDR)
HDR applicants may also meet the English language requirements by satisfying one of the following:
1. Within the last two years have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, of at least two years duration, where the degree was taught and assessed entirely in English and the institution is located in a country where the official language is English. Qualifying countries are Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Fiji, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, UK and USA;
2. Within the last two years have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, of at least two years duration, where the degree was taught and assessed entirely in English. Acceptable evidence includes an official university web page or letter from the Registrar's office (or equivalent) stating the degree was taught entirely in English;
3. Within the last two years completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in an approved country that includes a major assignment or thesis written in English. Approved countries are Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden;
4. Completed the degree qualifications described in 1, 2 or 3 above within the last five years together with additional evidence of recent studying or working in an English environment and/or writing in English.
As an international student you may have to meet the English language requirements based on your citizenship for visa purposes, as advised by the Department of Home Affairs. Please refer to the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for more details
English & Pathway Programs
UOW College Australia provides English language courses and other pathway programs. Visit UOW College Australia »
Find Your Course
Visit Course Finder to find the course that is right for you. Visit Course Finder »
Moving to Wollongong
Find everything you need to know about moving to Wollonging, including finding accommodation and the support you need while you are here. Learn more »
If you have a question about studying at UOW, a UOW course, or life in Wollongong, the UOW Future Students team will be happy to help. Contact Us »