Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 60-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re in the top two per cent of universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
Number one university in Australia
UOW was rated Australia's leading public university for undergraduate student experience in the 2018 Good Universities Guide.
In the federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT), last updated May 2018, UOW ranked equal first in Australia for Teacher Education, receiving the highest average ranking across all indicators.
Number one university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) 2018 ranked UOW overall as the number 1 university in New South Wales, based on the average rank of all of the 13 scales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW overall in QILT 2018
- Highest rank in NSW/ACT universities in eight study areas in QILT 2018
- Business and Management
- Creative Arts
- Science and Maths
- Teacher Education
- First in NSW/ACT for Learning Resources, Learner Engagement, Skills Development and Generic Skills on QILT 2018
- Highest ranked university in NSW for Learner Engagement and Generic Skills Scale on QILT 2018
- Highest ranked university in NSW on QILT 2018 for study area indicators:
- #1 for Skills Development for Computing and Information Systems
- #1 for Graduates in Full-Time Study for Engineering
- #1 for Overall Satisfaction and Median Graduate Salary for Law
- #1 for Learning Resources for Teacher Education
- #1 for Generic Skills for postgraduate Business and Management
- #1 for Generic Skills and Good Teaching Scale for postgraduate Science and Mathematics
- #1 for Median Graduate Salary for postgraduate Engineering
- #1 for Median Graduate Salary for postgraduate Communications
Employer Graduate Satisfaction Survey
Employers are more satisfied with UOW graduates, than graduates from all other NSW universities. The Australian Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) 2017 Employer Satisfaction Survey ranked employers’ overall satisfaction with UOW graduates at fifth in Australia – the highest ranking achieved by any NSW-based university.
Top 2% of universities in the world
- 218th in the world – QS World University Rankings 2019
- 251-300 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018
- 201-300 band – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017
- 313th in the world – U.S. News Best Global Universities Ranking 2017
- 264th in the world for research quality – 2016 Leiden Ranking
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 17th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2018
- 32nd in the world – Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2018
Rated among Asia-Pacific region's best universities
- 40th – Times Higher Education Asia Pacific University Rankings 2017
Globally rated a five-star university
- 5 Star rating - QS World University Rankings 2018
- UOW is one of only two Australian universities – and the only publicly funded university - to achieve 5-stars in all student experience measures in the 2018 Good Universities Guide: Overall experience; Skills development; Student support; Teaching quality and Learning resources and learner engagement
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- 98% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2015 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- More than 75% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates in the 2018 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
- Rated 73th in the world for graduate employment rates
- Rated 167th in the world for partnerships with employers
- Ranked in the 151-200 band overall
Top 50 in the world Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017 by subject
- Energy Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
Top 50 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 100 in the world 2018 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
Top 150 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Materials Science
Top 200 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Accounting and Finance
- Art and Design
- Business and Management Studies
- Communications & Media Studies
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Engineering – Electrical and Electronic
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Science
The federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2017 as the best university in New South Wales and the ACT for Law and Paralegal Studies.
UOW Law has also been ranked 85th worldwide, 8th in Australia and 3rd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2018).
World-class Engineering and Technology
The federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2017 as the best university in Australia for Engineering and second among all universities in NSW and the ACT for Computing and Information Systems.
UOW Engineering and Technology have also been ranked 96th worldwide, 7th in Australia and 3rd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject (2018).
Recognition of our international focus
- Ranked 71st of the top 200 most international universities in the world - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015/2016
- Winner of the prestigious 2015 Hong Kong - Australia Business Association (NSW Chapter) Award, recognition of our contribution to the region through international education.
- Winner of a Business Excellence Award for Education and Training in the 2015 AustCham Westpac Australia-China Business Awards, recognising a long-term collaboration between the University of Wollongong and leading universities, research organisations and industry bodies in China.
Global teaching excellence
In 2018, The University of Wollongong (UOW) was the only Australian university to be listed as a finalist for the prestigious Global Teaching Excellence Award (GTEA) for two consecutive years. The award recognises and celebrates institution-wide commitment to the pursuit of teaching excellence. UOW was identified among 17 leading universities from Asia, Europe, North America, South Africa, the United Kingdom and Australia.
Welcome to UOW
Welcome to the University of Wollongong, an institution ranking among the top 2% of universities in the world, with an enviable record in teaching and research. More »
The University of Wollongong is a global leader in discovery and learning, working to transform people and the world we live in. More »