University of Victoria
City: Victoria, British Columbia
Length of study: 1 or 2 semesters
Language of instruction: English
About: UVic is a top research university in a breathtaking location built on an ethos of achievement, curiosity, and real-life learning. A top-ranked Canadian university: in early 2013, UVic was ranked number 20 globally and first in Canada among universities less than 50 years old by times higher education (THE). It also ranks in THE elite global list of the top 200 universities, which includes approximately one per cent of the world's best institutions.
Canada is renowned for its vast natural landscapes and diverse culture. British Columbia (BC), on the west coast, is home to iconic mountains and stunning coastlines. Victoria is the capital city of British Columbia, situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. The climate is mild year-round, with the warmest winters in Canada, and more sunshine than many areas of coastal BC. It is a beautiful and welcoming city offering outdoor activities, an engaged community, a vibrant social scene, and a rich history that combines first nations, British, European and Asian traditions.
Victoria is home to the world famous Butchart Gardens, the Royal BC Museum, the BC parliament buildings and other historical buildings, sightseeing, whale watching, theatre and entertainment, and a broad array of cuisines. Victoria was rated as the #1 destination to visit in Canada by the 2010 TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards, and continues to attract visitors and students from across Canada and the world.
*CANADA DEADLINES: University of Victoria has only ONE deadline which is the Spring deadline.
- Accommodation: University of Victoria residence services can be applied for (application fee: $50 cad). Spaces are limited and placement is not guaranteed. Exchange students living on campus must be registered in a minimum of 4.5 UVic units per term.
- Students can opt to organise their own living arrangements off-campus. It is recommended that students planning to live off campus arrive at least two weeks before classes begin to allow time to find housing. Information is available via the international students website.
- Additionally, UVic runs a homestay program that offers students the opportunity to stay with a local family whilst studying at UVic .
- Additional fees apply for students who wish to move in early. Students are required to purchase $500 cad health insurance for their period of exchange.
- Course registration
- Credit load: the minimum course-load is 4 courses (6 units) per semester.
Subject restrictions: students are able to apply for the faculty of social sciences and the faculty sciences & humanities. Students are restricted from registration in business, education, engineering, fine arts, human and social development and law courses. A limited selection of unrestricted courses in business and fine arts are available for registration. Additional restrictions are also listed.