Psychometric tests are an additional source of information employers can use to assist them with recruitment decisions.
Types of psychometric tests include:
- Mental Reasoning/Aptitude Tests: Numerical, Verbal, Abstract/Spatial Reasoning
- Personality Inventory/Assessments
- Motivational Fit
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
Methods of testing:
- Online or written multiple choice of preferential scale tests
- Gamified tests: Candidates engage in online games, with opportunities to make decisions, solve problems, show initiative etc
Watch an example of psychometric testing and hear from the experts.
Psychometric testing is unlikely to be used in isolation. Results will usually be considered in conjunction with other information: interview, behavioural assessment, academic results etc.
Whilst you cannot 'study' for psychometric tests, you can practice psychometric testing to get an idea of what to expect.
Careers Central run regular workshops on Assessment Centres, which also cover Psychometric testing. Register to attend a workshop.