June 21, 2021
UOW welcomes Mount Ousley interchange funding
NSW Govt investment to improve campus access and safety
University of Wollongong (UOW) Vice-Chancellor, Professor Trish Davidson, has welcomed the announcement of a $60 million funding boost from the NSW Government for the Mount Ousley Interchange.
Professor Davidson was on hand today (Monday 21 June) for the funding announced by NSW Minister for Transport and Roads, Andrew Constance, and NSW Minister for Local Government, Shelley Hancock.
Minister Constance announced that the NSW is contributing $60 million to the project to supplement the Australian Government’s commitment of $240 million to allow Transport for NSW to build the interchange on the M1 Princes Motorway at the base of Mount Ousley.
“This project will make a big difference to our students, staff and visitors by improving safety and campus access. We have been very pleased to provide input into the design of the project so far and welcome the funding commitment announced today,” Professor Davidson said.
"The interchange will replace the existing intersection of the Princes Motorway and Mount Ousley Road, which currently experiences long queues and delays during peak periods and has a poor crash history," Mr Constance said.
"This will improve safety for both light and heavy vehicles, allow for future traffic growth, and improve access to the Princes Highway and the Wollongong CBD.
"This project will also support 457 direct and indirect jobs, providing a substantial economic and skills boost to the lllawarra and surrounds."
Minister for Local Government and Member for South Coast Shelley Hancock said the NSW Government committed $21 million to continue planning and development for the Mount Ousley Interchange in December last year.
'The initial tranche of funding covered detailed design, utility service investigations and further environmental assessment, and now the remaining $39 million will be allocated to make the vision a reality," Ms Hancock said.
"The concept design is now complete and Transport for NSW has since carried out detailed geotechnical investigations to help inform the detailed design."
Federal Minister for Urban Infrastructure Paul Fletcher said the Morrison Government has committed $240 million to this important project to improve travel times and access to the Wollongong central business district and the University of Wollongong.
"This project is one of many critical infrastructure projects to receive funding from the Morrison Government as part of its record $110 billion, 10-year infrastructure investment pipeline, which is helping to drive Australia's world-leading economic recovery," Mr Fletcher said.
Mr Constance said the proposed solution addresses several of the concerns raised by the local community.
"The current concept includes two roundabouts·, a heavy vehicle bypass lane and a heavy vehicle exit ramp, two heavy vehicle safety ramps, a commuter car park and active transport connections," Mr Constance said.
"It will also include an additional exit to the University of Wollongong which will help reduce congestion on the Princes Highway during university peak times."
Member for Heathcote Lee Evans said a project of this size and complexity would require the patience and understanding of all road users.
"This work will inevitably have impacts on commuters and the local community, but these will be minimised wherever possible," Mr Evans said.
"The community will be kept informed of its progress, with construction timing yet to be confirmed."