Water consumption reduction and reuse initiatives are a focus in our water management strategies as we work towards being self sufficient in water use. Water is a precious natural resource that should not be wasted. Australia can suffer from long drought periods that have negative environmental, social and economic impacts. UOW operations include a range of activities that impact on the amount of water consumed including sports field maintenance, provision of food services, research and general campus use. Growth and climatic factors pose a challenge to reduce water consumption.
Reduce water use
Reduce water use
Report water leaks immediately
- Wollongong and Innovation Campus please contact Facilities Management Division during business hours (or UOW Security after hours on 42214555)
- At regional and metropolitan campuses please contact your Facility manager
- At student accommodation residences please contact the relevant admin office.
Rethink your water use practices
- What activities do you do that use a lot of water at UOW? These might be part of research or teaching activities, or part of everyday operations of your facility. They might happen every day or once every so often.
- How might these activities be modified to reduce water use? Are there more water efficient methods that could be used?
- Contact Environment Unit to discuss options and seek advice. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips to reduce water use at home and at UOW
- Consider the water (and energy) efficiency of appliances that you are looking to purchase.
- At university, if you are purchasing research equipment consider the amount of water that it might use and if there are options for use of recycled water.
- Wash cars at commercial car washers that recycle water and wash them as needed rather than on a schedule. Stretch out the time in between washes. Remember that car washing activities are impacted by water restrictions.
- Rinsing your dishes in a plugged sink or bowl rather than under a running tap. It saves water and is just as easy and effective.
- Wait until you have a full load for the dishwasher and washing machine before using it. This saves water and energy, and reduces the amount of detergent entering the sewer system.
- What you put down the drain can cause blockages and pollute our environment. Use a sink strainer when you pull the plug out. Please do not use the drain to dispose of coffee grinds as this will cause a blockage.
- Keep your showers to under 4 minutes.
- Refer to the Useful links for further advice on water savings and rainwater capture and reuse.