Electronic waste

Disposal of electronic waste

If you have ewaste for disposal at Wollongong Campus, Shoalhaven Campus and Innovation Campus  (and you are a UOW tenant or UOW staff) please complete the  Electronic Waste Form and the Environment Unit will be in touch.

If you are located at any other campus location, please contact the Environment Unit for advice on how best to dispose of your UOW ewaste items.

What items are considered ewaste?

The following is a list of the type of items that are considered electronic waste and are not to be disposed of via the normal waste collection processes (landfill).

  • Computers 

  • Monitors

  • Printers

  • Scanners

  • Peripherals (keyboards, mice, cables)

  • Laptop batteries

  • Fax machines

  • CDs and DVDs (Non-confidential disposal only.  Confidential disposal can be arranged on request)

  • Cables (power and other)

  • Speakers

  • Telephones

  • TVs and VCRs

  • Air conditioning units (Note: these can only be disposed of via e-waste if they have been degassed via an approved contractor. Contact the Facilities Management Division Service Centre to arrange for this to be done prior to the ewaste collection)

Please be aware that your Faculty or Division may be required to contribute to the costs of disposal for some items.

Please do not use the e-waste collection to dispose of

  • Print cartridges -  UOW has a print and toner recycling collection boxes around the various campuses and you can recycle these at any time. For more information on print cartridge recycling visit Print Cartridge Recycling.
  • Mobile phones (mobile phone recycling collection is available at key locations)

What is the process for electronic item disposal at UOW?

UOW Staff and tenants are encouraged to identify computers and related equipment no longer in use or working in their area and then complete the Electronic Waste Form to nominate items for disposal.

The following minimum information about the items will be required:

  • Make and Model

  • Condition (working or not)

  • If it is on the UOW asset register and provide the asset number

  • Where it is located (building and room number)

Once you have registered your items the details are referred to IMTS to check for leased items and assist in data removal as required.  Once these checks have been completed the Environment Unit will contact you to move your items for disposal.  Please note that you may need to store your items for a short period until disposal can be arranged.

What happens with reusable items?

Wherever possible, unwanted UOW electronic items that are still in good working condition will be reused. Staff are able to find out what is available for reuse within the University by contacting the Environmental Unit who will search the ewaste items and put you in contact with who has the items. 

Items available for the reuse must have UOW data removed and/or destroyed and be transferred in the asset register from one area of the university to another (where applicable). Please be aware that IMTS desktop support is not available for items that are reused.

What happens with items that can't be reused?

Items that cannot be reused are sent to a specialised waste contractor who will certify that the items have been recycled. Prior to sending it off to be recycled all items must be removed from the UOW Asset Register and if relevant have UOW data removed and/or destroyed. 

What about my personal ewaste?

Personal electronic waste can not be disposed via the UOW ewaste collections.

Local Councils offer disposal services to residents. For information about the Illawarra local government areas ewaste disposal options have a look at their websites listed below or contact your local Council.

Where can I learn more?

To find out more about a National Scheme to manage electronic waste, go to the National Television and Computer Product Stewardship Scheme.
If you would like more information on electronic waste disposal at UOW, please contact the Environment Unit.