Vice-Chancellor's Advisory Group (VCAG)
The University of Wollongong’s Vice-Chancellor’s Advisory Group (VCAG) meets on a regular basis in order to share information and provide advice to the Vice-Chancellor. VCAG meetings are not constituted as a formal committee of the Academic Senate or Council and do not take decisions on matters that are the responsibility of these bodies. However, it will consider policies and recommendations that might be put to Senate and/or Council for discussion and possible approval.
The main roles of the meetings of VCAG are:
- To continually refine and focus the strategic direction of UOW and prioritise operational decisions according to this framework.
- To support and advise the Vice-Chancellor and the Senior Executive in carrying out their duties.
- To act as a conduit of information.
- To take an initial view on new or contentions business and to make sure that this is routed properly through the relevant parts of the management or governance structure.
- To review and endorse draft scopes for internal audits; and receive draft internal audit reports for endorsement to the Risk, Audit and Compliance Committee.
- To review any significant emerging risks and/or assurance matters.
- To present policy statements or proposals for discussion.
- To provide a forum for mutual support.
VCAG meets weekly on Monday mornings and is chaired by the Vice-Chancellor or, in his absence, a Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
Where technical presentations or complex issues are being discussed, senior line managers may be permitted to attend for that item.
Any papers for VCAG meetings will normally be circulated prior to the meeting. Papers should be completed and submitted to the Executive Officer before midday on the Thursday prior.
Weekly reports on non-restricted items are posted on the University’s intranet website and accessible to all University staff.
- Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global Strategy)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Health and Communities)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation)
- Chief Operating Officer
- Executive Dean, Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Business and Law
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health
NOTE: Members are expected to attend VCAG when possible. No alternates are permitted to attend in place of VCAG members unless approved by the Vice-Chancellor. The Vice-Chancellor will usually approve these requests in instances where more than two consecutive meetings will be missed and there is no conflict of interest with any items on the agenda.
The quorum for a meeting shall be a simple majority of the members of the Group.
VCAG Executive Officer
Governance and Policy Coordinator, Governance Unit
VCAG Sub-Advisory Groups
VCAG has established the following sub-advisory groups to consider issues in detail. It is the responsibility of individual sub-advisory group Chairs to identify issues of importance that require reporting to VCAG.
- University Information Technology Advisory Group (UITAG) – IMTS nominated Executive Officer
- Performance and Expenditure Review Group (PERG) – FS nominated Executive Officer
- Rankings Strategy Advisory Group (RSAG) – Dean of Research nominated Executive Officer
* University Priorities Advisory Group (UPAT) Disbanded mid-2018
* University Space and Infrastructure Advisory Group (USIAG) Disbanded October 2019