PCOC offers a comprehensive program of education. The program is free to services participating in PCOC. Staff can complete an online essentials program. Clinical leaders can attend a workshop program. A web-based package is available for staff to complete at their own direction.
The Essentials program is a short course for managers and clinicians learning about the PCOC assessment tools, implementing PCOC and reports. This short course is available online.
Clinical leadership workshop: PCOC assessment and response framework
The workshop entails a full-day interactive program of learning. By the end of this workshop, you will be more able to use the PCOC assessment and response framework effectively as part of routine care. Contact us to register for the workshop.
In this workshop participants will learn:
- How to support and educate other healthcare professionals to use the PCOC assessment tools in routine practice
- How to assess and respond clinically as informed by the PCOC assessment tools (Phase, RUG, AKPS, PCPSS, PCOC SAS)
- Strategies for integrating routine assessments into clinical practice
The target audience for this workshop is: clinical leads, senior clinicians, PCOC champions, and trainers and educators from allied health, nursing and medicine.
Clinical leaders advanced workshop: Using PCOC reports
This workshop entails a full-day interactive program of learning. By the end of this workshop, you will be more likely to be able to use PCOC outcome data to drive change. This workshops focuses on:
- Learning how to use and interpret clinical outcome data
- Diving into PCOC data to drive change
- Critically reflecting on how to use PCOC reports, including patient-level information
- Using data to target an area for improvement
- Using PCOC data to plan improvements
- Applying quality improvement strategies to plan and drive change in practice
To attend this workshop, you will have to have completed PCOC’s clinical leadership workshop that focuses on PCOC’s assessment and response framework.
The target audience for this workshop includes clinicians and managers who are familiar with PCOC reports and assessment tools.
It is recommended that you attend this workshop with at least one other colleague from your service. A group from your service is welcome to attend, as this can help drive change. Participants are required to bring their most recent PCOC outcome report, and supplementary reports, as this will be used to help focus on improvements that are meaningful and relevant to your service.
Every time I return from a PCOC workshop I always have a new sense of enthusiasm for using PCOC more efficiently.
Workshop dates and details
- Dates for 2021 to be advised (Sydney)
For workshop details and registrations, please contact Le-Tisha Kable (02 4221 3026)
- 25 August 2021 Brisbane - Clinical Leaders Workshop: PCOC Assessment & Response Framework
- 29 September 2021 Brisbane - Clinical Leaders Advanced Workshop: Using PCOC reports & QLD Benchmarking event
- 1 December 2021 Brisbane - Clinical Leaders Workshop: PCOC Assessment & Response Framework
- 21 Sep 2021 Adelaide: Clinical Leaders Workshop: PCOC Assessment & Response Framework
- 22 Sep 2021 Adelaide: Clinical Leaders Workshop: PCOC Advanced Workshop Using PCOC reports
- 14 Sep 2021 Perth: Clinical Leaders Workshop: PCOC Assessment & Response Framework
- 15 Sep 2021 Perth: Clinical Leaders Workshop: PCOC Advanced Workshop Using PCOC reports
Staff from Northern Territory palliative care services, please contact Tanya or Natalie (above) to access workshops.
- Dates for 2021 to be advised (Taiwan)
For Taiwan workshop details please contact Sabina Clapham (02 4239 2372)
Web-based education package
PCOC’s web-based education package can be completed in a self-directed way. The package includes presentations, useful resources and guides for assessments. These resources are available free of charge.
- Download the PowerPoint About PCOC standard assessments (pptx)
- Download the PowerPoint Assessing palliative care phase (pptx)
- Download the PowerPoint Assessing symptoms and problems (pptx)
- Download the PowerPoint Assessing function and performance RUG-AKPS (pptx)
- Download the PowerPoint Auditing to improve consistency and reduce variation (pptx)
Additional useful resources
- Download the Clinical manual (pdf)
- View the PCOC assessments page
- Download 'Implementing PCOC: a guide for services' (pdf)
This resource provides step-by-step guidance to assist palliative care services to develop a plan for implementing PCOC, or to monitor and evaluate progress and identify areas for improvement. It also includes a readiness assessment.
- Contact us for lanyard cards
Guides for assessments
© PCOC UOW 2020. The intellectual property associated with a suite of resources on this website is owned by the Palliative Care Outcomes Collaboration (PCOC), University of Wollongong. PCOC has placed resources in the public domain and is happy for others to use them without charge, modification or development. These resources cannot be modified or developed without the consent of the University.
PCOC is a national palliative care project funded by the Australian Government Department of Health.