General waste (landfill) bins
General waste (landfill) bins have red lids and/or signage. Materials disposed in the general waste bins go to landfill.
Items that belong in the general waste bin
- disposable coffee cups and takeaway containers 1
- non-recyclable hard plastic items (these items do not have a plastic code 1 -6)
- soft plastics such as plastic bags, wrap and chip packets 2
- light globes and window glass
- all polystyrene items 2
- paper towels, tissues and serviettes 1
- food scraps (e.g. bread, fruit, coffee grounds, tea bags)1
1. If there is a food waste (organics) bin available food scraps, paper towels, tissues, serviettes and specifically labelled compostable food and drink takeaway packaging (that is certified under the Australian Standard AS4736) should be placed in the food waste (organics) bins rather than the general waste (landfill) bins.
2. Soft plastics and some polystyrene can also be recycled just not via the co-mingled recycling bins. Refer to Other recycling options page for more details.
Items that do not belong in the general waste bin
There are a number of items that can't be disposed in the general waste bins.
- building or demolition materials (e.g. bricks, floor or roof tiles, carpet or concrete)
- hazardous waste and liquid wastes (e.g. chemicals, oils, solvents, brake fluid)
- scrap metal
- soil, sand and rocks
- hot ash
- furniture and other bulky waste
- electronic waste
Download a poster for your general waste bin
- Download the General Waste (Landfill) excluding food waste poster (PDF) - use this one if you have access to a foodwaste bin
- Download the General Waste (Landfill) including food waste poster (PDF) - use this one if you do not have access to a foodwaste bin