General waste (landfill) bins
General waste (landfill) bins have red lids and/or signage. Materials disposed of in the general waste bins go to landfill.
Items that belong in the general waste bin
- disposable coffee cups
- non-recyclable plastic items (these items do not have a plastic code 1 -6)
- plastic bags, wrap and chip packets
- light globes and window glass
- all polystyrene items
- paper towels
- tissues and serviettes
- food scraps (e.g. bread, fruit, coffee grounds, tea bags)
Note: that if there us a food waste (organics) bin available then food scraps, paper towels, tissues, serviettes and specifically labelled compostable food packaging (Certified under the Australian Standard AS4736) should be placed in the food waste (organics) bins rather than the general waste (landfill) bins.
Items that do not belong in the general waste bin
- building or demolition materials (e.g. bricks, floor or roof tiles, carpet or concrete)
- hazardous waste
- liquid wastes (e.g. chemicals, oils, solvents, brake fluid)
- automotive parts and other scrap metal
- soil and rocks
- hot ash
Download the General waste (Landfill) poster (PDF).