General waste (landfill) bins
General waste (landfill) bins have red lids and/or signage. Materials disposed in the general waste bins go to landfill.
Items that belong in the general waste bin
- disposable coffee cups and paper and fibre-based takeaway containers
- non-recyclable hard plastic items (these items do not have a plastic code 1 -5)
- soft plastics such as plastic bags, wrap and chip packets #
- light globes and window glass
- all polystyrene items #
- paper towels, tissues and serviettes
- food scraps e.g. bread, fruit, coffee grounds. (Use a food waste bin if there is one available)
# Soft plastics and some polystyrene can also be recycled just not via the co-mingled recycling bins. Refer to Other recycling options page for more details.
Items that do not belong in the general waste bin
There are a number of items that can't be disposed in the general waste bins.
- building or demolition materials (e.g. bricks, floor or roof tiles, carpet or concrete)
- hazardous waste and liquid wastes (e.g. batteries, chemicals, oils, solvents, brake fluid)
- scrap metal
- soil, sand and rocks
- hot ash
- furniture and other bulky waste
- electronic waste
Download a poster for your general waste bin
- Download the General Waste (Landfill) poster (PDF)