The Human Geography Collaboratory
The Human Geography Lab specialises in the development of qualitative and quantitative research skills. The Lab is well equipped with high end equipment for use by students and staff to facilitate cultural and environmental research. Facilities include:
- A dedicated DELL workstation for advanced census and mapping applications, and integration of video mapping and photographic geo-tagging technologies allowing powerful visualisation of real-world environments from within a digital mapping platform.
- Full Adobe multimedia suite used in the processing and analysis of large video datasets, post video production and photograph editing. Applications also used for graphic design and web development applications
- GPS enabled high definition Sony HDR-FX7E video camera permitting video mapping during fieldwork. Video recorded on the RedHen VMS 300 is automatically associated with the location where it is taken by a geodatabase index layer.
- GPS enabled Nikon D700 digital SLR camera facilitating geo-referenced location imagery. The integrated RedHen Bluetooth GPS receiver and GPS is attached to the body of the camera. The location coordinates of each photograph are automatically tagged to the photo.
- QSTARZ Bluetooth GPS data loggers
- A set of Nikon L100 digital cameras including 10 megapixel and 15x optical zoom
- A range of digital voice recorders for interviews and dedicated transcription workstation
There is no eating or drinking permitted in the Lab. All UOW Lab Rules apply. Machine bookings are limited to 3 hour blocks to guarantee users are not disadvantaged by extended use of particular workstations or software. The Human Geography Laboratory is open from Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm. For access to the lab outside these hours please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 4221 4253.