About the Youth Climate Change Project
A team of students and staff working in collaboration with the University of Wollongong (UOW) are participating in the 16th Conference of Youth on Climate Change (COY16), which is the precursor to the UN 26th Conference of Parties (COP26).
As part of the conference, our team has developed a Youth Climate Statement (PDF) in consultation with students, academics, and members of Wollongong’s wider community. The statement establishes a set of climate change commitments of the University, as well as demands on a local, national, and global level.
These commitments and demands will be presented as a part of COY’s statement to the UN Climate Change Conference of Parties in Glasgow on 31 October - 12 November 2021.
Following student, staff and community consultation, several commitments emerged. UOW has agreed to commit to the following:
- Work towards carbon neutrality by 2030.
- Improve energy management and have a renewable power purchasing agreement by 2025.
- Support sustainable transport strategies.
- Cultivate research excellence in climate change solutions.
- Educate the community about climate change.