California State University, Long Beach
City: Long Beach, CA
Length of study: 1 or 2 semesters
Language of instruction: English
About: California State University, Long Beach, offers international students and scholars the natural beauty and climate of southern California in a safe, suburban environment and the rich cultural offerings of the greater Los Angeles region. In 2014-15, more than 3000 international students from 95 countries chose to take part in the wide range of academic programs at CSULB. CSULB provides an exceptional student experience through nationally-recognized academic programs and personalized support services. An emphasis on research, student success and creative activity provides students the opportunity to work with dedicated and award-winning faculty mentors.
With more than 325 clubs and organizations, as well as a thriving student government, CSULB offers a wide variety of recreational, social, cultural and exciting leadership opportunities. These include intramural and club sports, along with fitness classes. The Student Recreation & Wellness Center is a 125,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility with fitness programs, rock climbing wall, as well as basketball, volleyball and badminton courts. CSULB offers 17 varsity sports at the NCAA Division I level. Its College of the Arts, the largest in the western United States, offers theatre, dance, and music performances enjoyed by students throughout the year.
The City of Long Beach is located 32 km south of downtown Los Angeles on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. The Port of Long Beach, together with the adjacent Port of Los Angeles, forms the largest shipping complex in the United States. In Long Beach, voted as one of America's "Top 10 Most Walkable Cities," residents and visitors experience a big-city feel with small-town charm in a unique oceanfront setting.
- The application process for housing is completed online.
- Students must have a CSULB student ID number and password to complete the application which will be distributed upon acceptance into the program. Fall/Academic year application period is mid-March to early-May. We recommend that students complete their applications on time to increase chances of placement; late applicants may be placed on a waiting list. Students can make payments online through our web portal's secure payment system, complete a wire transfer, or send in a cashier's check. Money Orders are not accepted.
- Fall semester students should be aware that the housing office only issues yearlong contracts. Therefore, students will be required to sign a contract for the entire academic year and then obtain a letter from our office at the end of the term to receive approval to end the contract early. Spring placements are based on available space or departures, which greatly varies each semester.
- Students that are seeking a more independent experience may want to explore off-campus housing options as they provide more flexibility and privacy. In many cases, off-campus housing in Long Beach can be more affordable than on-campus dormitories. The campus is in a central location and many of the buses connecting to other parts of Long Beach, and even other cities, run through or near the campus which makes living on or off campus equally convenient. All students are able to obtain a free bus pass called a 'Tap Card' for local transportation within the city.
- We recommend that students search for and arrange this housing as early as possible after receiving their official admission letter. Some students elect to arrange temporary housing upon arrival to give them time to find and confirm housing.
- Other: Living Costs are estimated at $8,400 USD per semester. Additionally, all incoming students are required to purchase health insurance at $500.00 USD
- (List suitable for exchange): CSULB Study Abroad Course Options
- COURSE CATALOGUE: use CSULB Schedule of Classes to find out which semester a class is running, textbook information and more.
- Credit load: The minimum course load for exchange students is 12 credits per semester.
- Art (B,M)
- Film (B)
- Biological Sciences (B,M)
- Psychology (B,M)
- Nursing (B,M)
- Physical Therapy (M)