2020 Seed Funding
- Collective weed management in post-fire landscapes: learning from successes and failures
Sonia Graham (SOC/ASSH), Kristine French (SMAH), Nicholas Gill (SOC/ASSH), Holly Tootell (EIS), Leonie Miller (SOC/ASSH)
- Cultural burning for resilience: Youth-led participatory action research to promote Indigenous practices for Country
Katharine Haynes (SMAH), Vanessa Cavanagh (SOC/ASSH), Lisa Slater (LHA/ASSH), Rebecca Stanley (SOC/ASSH), Yasmine Probst (SMAH), Oliver Costello (Firesticks Alliance Indigenous Corporation), Noel Webster (CEO Mudjingaalbaraga Firesticks/NSW Local Land Services South-East), Don Hankins (California State University).
- Disability Inclusion and Capacity building for Emergencies (DICE): Including people with disabilities during bush fires and COVID-19 to build community resilience and plan for the future
Louisa Smith (SOC/ASSH), Cristina Thompson (BUS), Kate Williams (BUS/BAL), Shawn Burns (LHA/ASSH). External partners: Ed Birt (Disability Trust), Roy Rogers (Flagstaff Group), Karen Burnett (CRAM Foundation).
- Effect of Bushfire on spread of PFAS contamination - Impact on water quality and biodiversity
Jawad Al-Rifai (EIS), Faisal Hai (EIS), William Price (AIIM), Hugh Forehead (EIS), Phillip Byrne (SMAH), Celine Kelso (SMAH), Ashley Ansari (EIS), Zein Saleh (EIS).
- From Power Plant to Table: Linking global mercury emissions to Australian fish consumption
Jenny Fisher (SMAH), Anna Farmery (LHA/BAL), Michael Bertolacci (EIS), Karen Charlton (SMAH).
- How effective are greenhouse gas sensors as blue carbon education, accounting and research tools?
Jeffrey Kelleway (SMAH), Susan Duschesne (SOC/ASSH), Wendy Nielsen (SOC/ASSH), Nicholas Deutscher (SMAH), Cormac Fay (EIS), Johan Barthélemy (EIS), Hugh Forehead (EIS), Kerrylee Rogers (SMAH).
- Human-to-robot skill transfer: Exploring the Social, Technical and Legal Implications
Emre Sariyildiz (EIS), Roba Abbas (BUS/BAL), Yvonne Apolo (LHA/BAL), Rahim Mutlu (EIS), Gursel Alici (EIS).
- Place-based cultural revitalisation: Culture futures with the Corroboree frog
Lisa Slater (LHA/ASSH), Katharine Haynes (SMAH), Vanessa Cavanagh (SOC/ASSH), External partners: Matalena Tofa (Macquarie University), Mal Ridges (University of New England), Geoff Simpson (NSW Department of Planning Industry and Environment), Sue Bulger (Brungle Tumut Local Aboriginal Land Council).
- Self-care of older Australians in times of natural disaster and pandemic
Susan McInnes (SMAH), Elizabeth Halcomb (SMAH), Sharon James (SMAH), Katharine Haynes (SMAH), Cristina Thompson (BUS/BAL), Marijka Batterham (EIS).
- Stories affording pathways to healing: practices supporting community recovery and resilience post disaster
Lynne Keevers (SOC/ASSH), Anthony McKnight (SOC/ASSH), Deborah Gough (LHA/ASSH), Karen Fildes (SMAH), Sharon James (SMAH), Karen File (SOC/ASSH), Susan Duchesne (SOC/ASSH), Saskia Ebejer (SOC/ASSH), Joanne Spangaro (SOC/ASSH), Adam Gowen (LHA/ASSH).
- #RecoverSouthCoast: Understanding Social Media Use in Bushfire Recovery
Robert Ogie (EIS), Joshua Whittaker (SMAH), Alison Moore (LHA/ASSH), Mehrdad Amirghasemi (EIS), Mitch Byrne (SOC/ASSH), Sharon James (SMAH).
2020 Project Funding
- Adjust to Disaster with Adaptive and Protective Transport (ADAPT) – Mobility Response to Crisis
Bo Du (EIS), Lyn Phillipson (SOC/ASSH), Johan Barthélemy (EIS), Quan Zhou (BUS), Louisa Smith (SOC/AASH), Marcella Bernardo (EIS), Delia Rambaldini-Gooding (SOC/ASSH), Thomas Astell-Burt (SOC/ASSH), Pascal Perez (EIS), Hao Hu (EIS), Yan Qian (EIS), Talita Meira (BUS/BAL). External partners: Tingru Cui (University of Melbourne), Isabelle Ghetti (Wollongong City Council), Edward Steane (Liverpool Council), Darren Gough (Ydrive).
- Building Community Resilience to Bushfires: Preparedness, Recovery and Reconstruction
Paul Cooper (EIS), Christine Eriksen (SOC/ASSH), Joshua Whittaker (SMAH), Tillmann Boehme (BUS/BAL), Scott McKinnon (SOC/ASSH), Alan Green (EIS), Matthew Daly (EIS).
- Ready for anything: Identifying Novel, Community-Led Solutions for Evacuation Centres During Emergencies and Beyond
Duane Robinson (EIS), Cathrine Nielsen-Hewett (SOC/ASSH), Matthew Pepper (BUS/BAL), Sean Elphick (EIS), Nurul (Izzah) Afandi (EIS), Jonathan Knott (AIIM), Albert Munoz-Aneiros (BUS/BAL), Andrew Glover (SOC/ASSH).
Other Supported Projects
Dr Phil Commins (EIS), Prof C Cook (EIS), Dr Paul Wong (Industry Partner and CEO of Applied Robotics), Dr Alison Bell (SMAH); Assoc Professor Venkata Yanamandram (BUS/BAL), T. McDonnell (BUS/BAL)
2019 Seed Funding
- Passive Wearable Assistive Robotic Device (WeARoP): Body Posture Support and Mobility Enhancement
Rahim Mutlu (EIS), Emre Sariyildiz (EIS), Manish Sreenivasa (EIS), Roba Abbas (BUS), Lorna Moxham (SMAH), Gursel Alici (EIS)
- ‘Hashtagging Terror and Hate’: Citizen Responses on Social Media
Cassandra Sharp (LHA), Shoshana Dreyfus (LHA), Roba Abbas (BUS), Tracey Woolrych (SOC), Peter Leeson (SOC), Yvonne Apolo (LHA), Kate Tubridy (LHA)
- Sustainability and STEM in Schools: Can Asset Management Inspire?
Daniel Daly (EIS), Peter Andersen (SOC), Michael Jones (BUS), Matthew Daly (EIS), Yoke Berry (BUS)
- Fixing microplastic pollution in waterways - from home to lake
Hugh Forehead (EIS), Faisal Hai (EIS), Ashley Ansari (EIS), Pascal Perez (EIS), Martina Sanderson-Smith (SMAH), Karen Raubenheimer (LHA)
- Techno-economic Evaluation of Fringe-of-Grid Opportunities for Alternative Electricity Supply
Matt Pepper (BUS), Sean Elphick (EIS), Albert Munoz (BUS), Jason David (EIS), Jon Knott (AIIM)
- Benchmarking, characterising and valuing the resources in bulky kerbside council collections
Elyse Stanes (SOC), James Ng (EIS), David Steel (EIS), Mark Nelson (EIS), Paul Chad (BUS), Sarah Wright (LHA), Yvette Barrs (Illawarra Shoalhaven Joint Organisation), Nicole Parsons (Illawarra Shoalhaven Joint Organisation)
- Community Resilience: The Social Nature of Resilience and Adaptability Among Student Teachers and Nurses
Lynn Sheridan (SOC), Roger Patulny (LHA), Jordan McKenzie (LHA), Peter Andersen (SOC), Grant Kinghorn (SMAH)
- Systemic entrapment: Factors associated with First Nations people and multigenerational contact with systems through a Human Rights perspective.
Marlene Longbottom (BUS), Peter Malouf (SMAH), Kathleen Clapham (BUS), Peter Kelly (SOC), Helen Hasan (BUS), Kate Senior (University of Newcastle), Valerie Harwood (University of Sydney), Hannah McGlade (Curtin University), Jocelyn Jones (University of Western Australia), Anna Williamson (Sax Institute), Ronald Stephens (Purdue University, US)
- Age Friendly Illawarra, What Does It Look Like? A Scoping Study
Ping Yu (EIS), Lorna Moxham (SMAH), Annette Braunack-Mayer (SOC), David Hailey (EIS), Jacqueline Street (SOC), Bo Du (EIS), Ting Song (EIS). External partners – Mark Jones (Edmiston Jones), Rod Young (Horsley Services).
- Encountering the Digital State: Accessing Social Security in a Digital Age
Scarlet Wilcock (LHA), Roba Abbas (BUS), Andrew Whelan (LHA), Paul Henman (SOC).
2019 Project Funding
- The ethical, legal and social implications (ELSI) of using artificial intelligence (AI) in health and social care
Stacy Carter (SOC), Scarlet Wilcock (LHA), Tam Ha (SOC), David Steel (EIS), Nina Reynolds (BUS), Khin Win (EIS), Chris Degeling (SOC), Annette Braunack-Mayer (SOC), Jackie Street (SOC), Patti Shih (SOC), Kathleen Prokopovich (SOC), Belinda Fabrianesi (SOC), Jake Thompson (SOC), Pauline Shaughnessy (EIS), Sebastian Isbanner (BUS), Lei Wang (EIS)
- Next Generation Sustainable Crafting
Jo Law (LHA), Agnieszka Golda (LHA), Helen McGregor (SMAH), Sepidar Sayyar (AIIM), Aaron Burton (LHA)
- Next Generation Sunscreen: Designed and tested for Australian conditions, with global implications for sun safety
Konstantin Konstantinov (AIIM), Phil Barker (SMAH), Sheikh Solaiman (LHA), Ronald Sluyter (SMAH), Vitor Sencadas (EIS), Michael Lerch (EIS), Shahnaz Bakand (SOC), Jennifer Algie (BUS), Xu-Feng Huang (SMAH)
- Modelling emergent properties in the brain to combat neurodegenerative disease
Alex Harris (AIIM), Lezanne Ooi (SMAH), Patrick McGivern (LHA), Johnson Chung (AIIM), Jeremy Crook (AIIM), Eva Tomaskovic-Crook (AIIM), Frederic Gilbert (University of Tasmania), Kyle Wedgwood (University of Exeter, UK), Susanna Narkilahti (Tampere University, Finland), Pasi Kallio (Tampere University, Finland)
- Impact of the multi-sensory environment (MSE) for cross-sector user groups
Holly Tootell (EIS), Pippa Burns (SMAH), Karen Tonge (SOC), Grant Ellmers (LHA), Jane Warren (SOC), Sue Slowikowski (BUS), Rose Dixon (SOC), Sim Lau (EIS), Andrea Garner (Alesco), Michael Szafraniec (CareWays), Carly Pascoe (CareWays), Jade Kennedy (Indigenous Knowledges, Teaching and Curriculum), Jaymee Beveridge (Woolyungah Indigenous Centre), Matt Ball (Early Start Discovery Space), Martha Johnson (Early Start Discovery Space), Naomi Sheridan (PhD Candidate)
- The research and development of a prototype device for the observation of vital signs
Christopher Patterson (SMAH), Raad Raad (EIS), Philip Ogunbona (EIS), Dana Perlman (LHA)
- A Smart Shoe System Enabling Sedentary Older Adults to Walk More Steps and Walk Safely
Winson Lee (EIS), Gursel Alici (EIS), Rahim Mutlu (EIS), Mark Allen (SOC), Robyn Coman (SOC), Sheikh Solaiman (LHA), Giraldo Alexandra (EIS). External partners – Gilbert Lam (Li Ning Sports Science Research Center), Rezaul Begg (Victoria University).