The evolution of Systems Engineering into using model-based tools has resulted in a range of benefits from greater traceability of information within a project to better informed decisions. Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE) is a refinement of the traditional Systems Engineering practice to bring the information into a common model.
SMART short course: Introduction to MBSE and SysML
- - (Everyday)
This course will introduce the MBSE concepts utilising SysML as the modelling paradigm. The course subsequently expands upon the understanding of SysML to see how broader and more complicated concepts are captured. To support MBSE, the Object Management Group (OMG) and the International Council of Systems Engineers (INCOSE) collaborated to develop the Systems Modelling Language (SysML).
All successful participants will receive two UOW credit points.
Introductory course: introducing concepts, methods or tools to relevant students or professionals
Course Outline: 21 hours over 6 sessions
By the end of this course you will appreciate:
- What is MBSE and how it differs from traditional SE
- How to read SysML and the nuances inside the language
- How to utilise the tools to capture more complicated concepts such as risk and human factors
A knowledge of Systems Engineering principles is preferred but not required.
Session 1 + 2 – Introduction and Physical Modelling
- Overview of MBSE and SysML
- Knowledge Management Support for Systems Engineering
- Physical Structure Modelling
Session 3 + 4 – Behaviour and Requirements
- Activity and State Modelling
- Dedicated Views and Model Usability
- Requirements Representations
- Allocation between the Pillars of SysML
Session 5 + 6 – Broadening the Scope
- Introduction to Architecture Frameworks
- Risk and Safety Modelling
- Modelling Human Factors
Content will be available online to support self-paced learning.
Live discussions will happen on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4 pm to 5 pm AEST
- 20% off for students
- 10% off for UOW Staff and registered Alumni. Register as UOW alumnus
Special discounts are available if you want to book two or more courses, or if you have a group booking of 10 or more. To discuss please contact Lynda Hezemans at firstname.lastname@example.org