AWS Academy Cloud Foundations is intended for students who seek an overall understanding of cloud computing concepts, independent of specific technical roles. It provides a detailed overview of cloud concepts, AWS core services, security, architecture, pricing, and support.
AWS Academy Cloud Foundations | SMART short course
- - (Everyday)
This is an introductory (level 100) course and is intended for AWS Academy member institutions. The course is 21 hours over 3 days.
All successful participants will receive two UOW credit points.
Course date: July 17, 24 and 31. This course will run on three consecutive Fridays from 9am to 5pm
Delivery mode: Delivered online in real time with recordings available after each session
- 20% off for students
- 10% off for UOW Staff and registered Alumni. Register as UOW alumnus
Special discounts are available if you book two or more courses, or if you have a group booking of 10 or more. To discuss please contact Lynda Hezemans at email@example.com.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the six advantages of cloud computing and discuss three cloud deployment models
- Understand the AWS pricing philosophy and the elements of Total Cost of Ownership
- Understand and discuss the different AWS compute services, AWS storage services, as well as virtual networking in the cloud with Amazon VPC.
- Provide an overview of different SQL/NoSQL database services, and their availability differences, in the cloud.
- Understand high availability and reliability and the ability of Auto Scaling to launch servers in response to workload changes.
- Understand best security practices and describe the AWS Shared Responsibility Model
- Describe the business impact of design decisions
This is an entry-level course, but students should possess:
- General IT technical knowledge
- General IT business knowledge
Day 1 – Welcome and AWS Cloud Overview
- Module 0 - Welcome to AWS Academy
- Module 1.1 - Cloud Concepts Overview
- Module 1.2 - Cloud Economics
- Module 1.3 - AWS Infrastructure Overview
Days 2 – AWS Core Services
- Module 2.1 - AWS Core Services: Compute
- Module 2.2 - AWS Core Services: Storage
- Module 2.3 - AWS Core Services – Amazon Virtual Private Cloud
- Module 2.4 - AWS Core Services: Databases
- Module 2.5 - AWS Core Services: Elastic Load Balancing, Amazon CloudWatch, and Auto Scaling
Day 3 – Cloud Security and Architecture
- Module 3 - AWS Cloud Security
- Module 4 - Cloud Architecting
- Module 5 - Cloud Billing and Support
The assessment comprises of a combination of in-class quizzes (20% weight) and a final assessment to write a short research report (maximum 500 words, 80% weight) outlining the design of a cloud-based solution for an application of your choice and its critical evaluation, in terms of availability, performance, reliability and security.