Master of Education | 2017
Testamur Title of Degree:
Master of Education
UOW Course Code:
Total Credit Points:
1.5 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Faculty of Social Sciences
Autumn, Spring, EDU Intake November*
* EDU Intake November is only available for the TESOL Specialisation via distance.
The Master of Education is a higher degree for teachers and educators wishing to pursue advanced studies in their area of interest. Many subjects require the application of research and theoretical insights into actual practice, and it is desirable that students have some workplace/teaching experience.
Academic requirements and English requirements are available from the Course Finder.
Course Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the Master of Education will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of theory and practice in specialised disciplines within the field of education in national and/or international contexts
- Demonstrate expert, specialised and technical knowledge in broad educational areas of pedagogy, assessment and curriculum designed to address the needs of diverse learners across a range of educational contexts.
- Analyse critically, reflect on and synthesise information to solve complex problems in the educational field.
- Conduct independent research and inquiry, involving theoretical conceptualisation, innovative ideas and personal initiative.
- Demonstrate professional leadership through interpreting and communicating pedagogical knowledge and professional skills to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
The program comprises 72 credit points (12 subjects) made up of the following:
- A compulsory research methodology subject (EDGZ921) to be taken in the first 36cp of study;
- A compulsory research project subject as listed in the selected specialisation. The research subject is to be taken in the final session of study;
- Subjects as outlined in the selected specialisation;
- Electives (to the credit point value specified in the selected specialisation) chosen from any specialisation in the Master of Education; and
- The degree will have no more than 24 credit points (four subjects) at 800 level.
Please see the specialisation pages listed below for detailed subject information for each specialisation.
- Adult and Vocational Education
- Higher Education
- Educational Leadership
- Information and Communication Technology in Education and Training
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Special Education
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- The Early Years *
*The Early Years specialisation is under review and will not be available for new enrolments in 2017.