Procedures on the Day
Before the Ceremony
- You should arrive at the University at least 90 minutes before the commencement of the ceremony. If you arrive late, you may not be allowed to attend the ceremony.
- We suggest you leave your guests in the foyer of the University Hall. If you have already paid your Graduation fee ($85), you should go to the Registration Desk in the upstairs foyer of Building 11, UniCentre Building.
- If you have outstanding payments due, these need to be paid before you can got to the Registration Desk. Payment facilities are available at Student Central in Building 17 on the day of your graduation ceremony (by EFTPOS, Cheque, Money Order and Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, Bankcard or American Express) only). Cash Payments ARE NOT accepted. If you decide to pay on the day, you may experience delays. NO PAYMENTS will be accepted at the Registration Desk.
- Please have your student card ready to identify yourself to Registration Desk staff. To register you will:
a. receive your Program Booklet marked with your name and reserved seat number. (NB: If you do not have a Program Booklet marked with your name and seat number, you HAVE NOT registered for the ceremony).
b. Receive your guest tickets (up to three per graduand)
- Graduands not registered 45 minutes prior to the commencement of the ceremony may not be permitted to participate.
- Once you have registered, desk staff will direct you to collect your hired academic dress.
In the Hall During the Ceremony
- At least 30 minutes before the ceremony, you should be seated in your allocated seat (your seat number is marked on your program booklet). So that each graduand is presented in the correct order to the Chancellor, it is essential that you sit in the seat number that you have been allocated. Please do not swap or change where you sit.
- The graduand ushers will direct you through the ceremony process.
- When requested by the Chancellor, please stand as part of the group of graduands receiving awards. The Chancellor will then admit you to your degree. You will then sit down.
- Graduands will then be announced individually. The first graduand will be ushered to the top of the right hand stairs; the next, to the right-hand outside aisle. All others in the group should remain seated.
- As the first graduand's name is announced (s)he will walk across to the centre of the stage to receive the testamur (certificate).
- The audience and fellow graduands will applaud.
- After the Chancellor has given you your testamur and tipped her cap, tip your cap in return.
- Turn to your left and proceed down the centre stairs to the centre aisle enter your row and return to your seat.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, you will join the procession out of the Hall as directed by the ushers. To avoid a crush, please quickly make your way to the exit doors and out of the Hall
The diagram shows a 'typical' layout for a Graduation Ceremony
- Graduands move to the right of their row and are met by usher A (the Aisle Usher).
- They then proceed to the bottom of the stairs and wait next to usher S (the Stair Usher).
- When the preceding graduand has moved to centre stage, the next graduand ascends the stairs and waits near the Dean.
- When their name is announced, each graduand, in turn, moves to the Chancellor to receive their testamur.
- Before leaving the stage, graduands return the salute to the Chancellor by tipping their cap slightly with their right hand; and then descend the stairs and return to their seat.
Last reviewed: 28 November, 2012