Student Services & Amenities Fee
The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SAF) is a fee you pay to ensure UOW is delivering services and facilities you need. It is important that you tell us what you think the fee should be spent on so that UOW can continue to improve your university experience . Learn more about the SAF fee.
See what categories students wantED prioritised for 2013: student consultation feedback.
Federal government legislation determines what UOW can spend your fee on.
You should consider which of these categories your submission fits with:
- a) providing food or drink to students on a campus of the higher education provider;
- b) supporting a sporting or other recreational activity by students;
- c) supporting the administration of a club most of whose members are students;
- d) caring for children of students;
- e) providing legal services to students;
- f) promoting the health or welfare of students;
- g) helping students secure accommodation;
- h) helping students obtain employment or advice on careers;
- i) helping students with their financial affairs;
- j) helping students obtain insurance against personal accidents;
- k) supporting debating by students;
- l) providing libraries and reading rooms (other than those provided for academic purposes) for students;
- m) supporting an artistic activity by students;
- n) supporting the production and dissemination to students of media whose content is provided by students;
- o) helping students develop skills for study, by means other than undertaking courses of study in which they are enrolled;
- p) advising on matters arising under the higher education provider's rules (however described);
- q) advocating students' interests in matters arising under the higher education provider's rules (however described);
- r) giving students information to help them in their orientation;
- s) helping meet the specific needs of overseas students relating to their welfare, accommodation and employment.
Submissions were invited from 3 September 2012 until 30 September 2012.
UOW has developed spending priorities based on student feedback and surveys. These priorities are:
- SAF Fees should be spent on infrastructure, capital or other projects of a one-off nature that deliver ongoing service improvement benefits to students in the above categories.
- Without limiting possible wider application at non-Wollongong locations, the University's priorities are on the following items from the spending categories listed above: (b), (c), (d), (f), (g), (h), (l), (m), (n), (o), (r) and (s).
- The University believes that funds raised from students studying at non-Wollongong locations should be re-invested at non-Wollongong locations.
This consultation step is the first of many in order to deliver additional services and facilities for UOW students. The Student Representative Forum, Student Associations, Vice-Chancellor's Advisory Group and finally the University Council are all involved in the review and approval of SAF submissions.
The best way to have your voice heard is to make a submission or speak with your student representative who can present your feedback at the next Student Representative Forum.
UOW has launched many new services and facilities funded directly by the Student Services & Amenities Fee and based on submissions from students and staff.
If you have any queries please contact Student Central: email@example.com / 4221 3927.