Apply for a Student Visa
All international students require a student visa to study at the University of Wollongong (UOW). This must be obtained before travelling to Australia.
UOW is an eligible institution as part of the Australian Government's Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) system.
Visa application process
You may find that it will be helpful to have an in-country UOW representative assist you in the visa application process: for your closest representative, please contact UniAdvice
To apply for a student visa, you will need:
- A valid passport
- Your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE)
- Any other documentation required by the Australian Diplomatic Post
Your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission will be able to advise you about visa processing times, how to apply and whether you need to undergo health checks or provide chest x-rays.
If you are granted a student visa, you must abide by certain conditions including (but not limited to):
- Full-time study
- Satisfactory academic progress
- Maintaining approved Overseas Student Health Cover
- Remaining with UOW for at least six months, or the duration of the course if shorter than six months
- Notifying UOW of your address in Australia and any subsequent change of address within seven days.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR HIGHER DEGREE RESEARCH APPLICANTS
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection requests that all research students undertaking a Masters by Research, PhD or short term research placement in Australia provide the following documents with their student visa application. Providing these documents with your application reduces the need for DIBP to request them from you, and will reduce processing delays for many applicants.
- Detailed CV, research proposal details, academic transcripts, and details of publications
- Completed form 1221
The Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs has comprehensive information about student visa requirements and application procedures.