Student Awards Committee (SAC)
- Terms of Reference
- List of Members
- Meeting Dates
- New Prize Template
- Prize Revision Template
- Student Awards and Prizes Policy
The Student Awards Committee shall be responsible for providing leadership, outlining minimum standards and ensuring consistency in relation to the student award process and, specifically, report on:
- University Medals
- Monitor and review criteria for the award of University Medals and make recommendations for improvement to Academic Senate;
- Assess, against the criteria, nominations for the award of University Medals submitted through the Executive Deans of Faculty and forward recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor who shall determine the award of Medals.
- Student Prizes
- Monitor and review criteria for Student Prizes and make recommendations for improvement to Academic Senate;
- Assess proposals for new and amended prizes submitted by Faculties against the criteria and make recommendations to Academic Senate for their approval;
- Monitor and review the central prize database and associated records.
- "With Distinction"
- Monitor and review criteria for the "With Distinction" award, with reference to calculation and incident of award across courses, and make recommendations for improvement to Academic Senate.
- Dean's Merit List
- Monitor and review criteria for the Dean's Merit List, with reference to individual Faculty practice, and make recommendations for improvement to Academic Senate.
- Annual Report to Senate
- Submit a report to Senate annually on the student awards approved during that year, providing comment on number of candidates, qualifications of successful candidates (in summary) and suggestions for improvement to criteria or process.
- Other Matters
- Consider any other matter referred to it by the Council, Vice-Chancellor or Academic Senate.
The University Student Awards Committee shall consist of:
- the Chair of the Academic Senate (as Chair)
- a representative from the Office of Advancement
- two representatives per faculty:
- the Associate Dean (Education) or another member of academic staff nominated by the Executive Dean
- an academic or general staff member nominated by the Executive Dean of the Faculty, for a three year term
- the Student Ombudsman
There shall also be a Deputy Chair appointed from within the Committee.
The Chair may co-opt new members of the Committee as required.
Where assessment of a proposal (e.g. a Prize) is required between Committee meetings, the Executive Officer shall check it against the criteria and the Chair shall make a recommendation and report the action taken to the next Committee meeting.
The Committee shall meet at a minimum of three times per year.
The Committee shall have a quorum which is equal to one-half or, where one half is not a whole number, the whole number next higher than one-half of the total number of members for the time being of the Committee.
The 2018 Schedule of Committee Meetings is currently under development. All approved and tentative dates advised to Governance have been updated on this schedule.
Please send any additions or changes to Governance.
This schedule includes meeting details for University Council and Council Committees, Academic Senate and its committees, as well as Faculty and other University Committees.
The 2017 Schedule of Committee Meetings is currently up to date. Any additions or changes should be sent to Governance.