EdStart provide $500 grants for undergraduate students at UOW. An EdStart grant is NOT a cash award and is given to students in the form of on campus credit. Goods and services can be purchased from the University of Wollongong and UniShop using the $500 grant towards goods and services such as:
- Course notes and textbooks
- IT consumables, software and hardware
- Printing and photocopying
- Visual arts subject supplies and stationery
- Lab coats
- KidsUni Childcare
If you wish to purchase any items that are not on the above list you will need to send an email request to the EdStart Officer on, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, items can only be purchased through the UniShop, Visual Arts or Kids Uni. If the UniShop does not have an item that you require please ask them if they can order it in.
Students from campuses other than Wollongong who receive the EdStart grant can order their textbooks by emailing their name, student number and the names of the textbooks they require to the UniShop using the following email address, email@example.com. Alternatively they can visit the UniShop at Wollongong campus and purchase their textbooks.
You can apply for EdStart if:
- You are completing your first Undergraduate Degree (students undertaking Postgraduate studies are not eligible to apply).
- You are an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa.
- You are enrolled at the University of Wollongong in 12 or more credit points in both Autumn and Spring Sessions 2017.
- You can demonstrate low income by:
- Receiving or expect to receive Centrelink payments in 2017
- Demonstrating your low income
- Living with family who are receiving Centrelink payments
- Living with family who can demonstrate low income
Eligibility checks will be conducted to ensure that students are enrolled in 12 credit points for spring session 2017, if you are not enrolled in 12 credit points for both Autumn and Spring sessions your application will become invalid and you will not be considered for the EdStart Grant.
EdStart is a competitive application process, applicants are assessed on the basis of financial need. Students receiving Centrelink payments or who are on low incomes are strongly encouraged to apply. Please note, not all eligible applicants will receive an EdStart Grant, there are a limited number to award and will be awarded based on the applicants financial need.
EdStart applications are assessed in two rounds. Here are the dates when you should apply and supply documentation.
|Opens:||15 December 2016|
|Closes:||27 January 2017|
|Documents Due:||7 February 2017|
|Results Released:||23 February 2017|
|Opens:||1 February 2017|
|Closes:||24 February 2017|
|Documents Due:||2 March 2017|
|Results Released:||17 March 2017|
- You will be asked to answer a number of questions about your: current enrolment; financial situation over the past year; family; living arrangements and your Centrelink benefits.
- You will need your Centrelink Reference Number (CRN) and your parents or partner/spouses income details if applicable. (Please ensure you enter the correct CRN and not your CAN. If you provide the incorrect CRN your application will remain invalid).
- Please ensure that you have all of your necessary documentation before attempting to complete the application.
- Please answer all of the questions honestly as you will need to provide documentation to support your responses. Providing false information will result in your application being invalid.
- Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Incomplete applications will remain incomplete on our system and are therefore not valid.
You will be asked to give your consent for this to occur. This consent will be used for the sole purpose of authorising Centrelink to provide information to the University of Wollongong to assess your eligibility in relation to your equity type scholarship/grant application. A brochure is available from Centrelink that provides more details about the Centrelink confirmation services and further information is available on Centrelink’s website at: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/
Your consent will authorise Centrelink to electronically provide a statement to the University of Wollongong to assist in the assessment of your entitlement to an equity type scholarship/grant . The information provided by Centrelink may include, where relevant, current or historical details of payments received, dependants, Centrelink deductions, income, assets and confirmation of your current address.
This authority, once given, is effective only for that period when your equity type scholarship/grant application is being assessed at the University of Wollongong. The authority can be revoked at any time by giving notice to the University of Wollongong or the department.
By agreeing to the consent I authorise:
• the University of Wollongong to use Centrelink Confirmation eServices to perform a Centrelink enquiry of my customer details and concession card status in order to enable the business to determine if I qualify for a concession, rebate or service.
• the Australian Government Department of Human Services (the department) to provide the results of that enquiry to the University of Wollongong.
• the department will disclose personal information to the University of Wollongong including my name/address/concession card status/payment type/payment status/one off payment/income/assets/deductions/shared care arrangements/partner status/Youth Allowance Independent Rate to confirm my eligibility for an EdStart Grant.
• this consent, once signed, remains valid while I am a customer of the University of Wollongong unless I withdraw it by contacting the University of Wollongong or the department.
• I can get proof of my circumstances/details from the department and provide it to the University of Wollongong so that my eligibility for an EdStart Grant can be determined.
• if I withdraw my consent or do not alternatively provide proof of my circumstances/details, I may not be eligible for the EdStart Grant provided by the University of Wollongong.
Students who are awarded the EdStart Grant will choose to have their credit allocated to one of the following options:
- UniShop only: $500 of educational textbooks, materials and equipment from the UniShop.
- Average printing/copying: $450 of educational textbooks materials and equipment from the UniShop and $50 of printing and copying.
- Large amount of printing/copying: $400 of educational textbooks, materials and equipment from the UniShop* and $100 of printing and copying.
- Childcare at KidsUni (Wollongong Campus) you must already have a childcare place at KidsUni to take up this option. The application will ask you to indicate how you would like to divide the $500 e.g. $200 childcare and $300 UniShop.
- Visual Arts Materials for students enrolled in the following subjects only (CAVA201, CAVA202, CAVA203, CAVA301, or CAVA390) with $175 towards Visual Arts materials and fees and $325 of educational textbooks materials and equipment from the UniShop
8. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION?
During your application you will be asked to provide supporting documentation to verify the information provided in your application. Please note that applications without the required supporting documents submitted prior to the closing dates as noted in the key dates above will be considered incomplete.
Applicants will be sent a confirmation email to their nominated email account once we have received your supporting documentation. Your application will not be considered if you fail to provide all the necessary supporting documentation with your application.
Please note if no documentation is listed on the confirmation screen of your application you will not be required to submit supporting documentation. Please check with the EdStart Officer if you are unsure of what supporting documents you are required to submit.
Student Central, Building 17
University of Wollongong
WOLLONGONG, NSW, 2522
Or alternatively, you can email a scanned copy of your EdStart documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please refer to the Key Dates for information on closing, release of results and document submission dates. If you have a question that is not on this page please contact the EdStart Officer using email@example.com.
Contact the EdStart Officer
Phone: 02 4252 8253
- To ensure your application is valid and will be processed please ensure that you read the above 10 points prior to starting your application.
- Only one completed application is necessary per student, please do not apply more than once.