Tips for choosing an appropriate password
This page explains the rules you will need to follow when specifying a password for your UOW account and gives some suggestions for creating a secure password.
- A password must be at least 6 characters long.
- Must be no more than 8 characters long.
- Must not include part of the user's name or username.
- May not be a password that has previously been used.
- May not include the word "password" or "test".
- May not use an incremental number system, e.g. a password may not be changed from UoWgong16 to UoWgong17.
- Passwords are case sensitive.
- For a strong password, use a combination of alphabetic, numeric or punctuation characters.
- One good approach to making a good password is to create an acronym; i.e. take a phrase and use the initial letters as the password e.g. "The cat sat on the mat" becomes Tcsotm. To enhance this approach, you can simply substitute letters like O, I, S, and T with the numeric 0, 1, 5, and 7 respectively. This in turn will make sure you generate a secure password. So in the example above our password Tcsotm would become Tcs07m.
- Once you have chosen your password, it is best to commit it to memory, otherwise write it down and put it in a secure place. Never tell it to anyone.
- Once you have changed your password successfully, you will not be able to change it again for 14 days. If you need to change your password in this period, please contact IMTS (contact details below).
- Make sure you have set up your UOW user account security profile. This allows you to recover your password if you forget it.
- Students should contact the IT Service Centre on +61 2 4239 2000
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff should contact the IT Helpdesk on +61 2 4221 3000 (extension 3000)
or email email@example.com
- Staff & Students of international campuses should contact their local IT support
If you have any problems or questions please contact IMTS
- Phone: +61 2 4239 2000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +61 2 4221 3000
- IT Help Wizard
- Staff & Students should contact their local IT support