Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 60-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re in the top 2 per cent of universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
The number 1 university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) has ranked UOW as the number 1 university in New South Wales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW on QILT 2017
- Highest number of star ratings in the 2017 Good Universities Guide
- Awarded the 2015 Australian Financial Review Higher Education Award for graduate employability
Top 2% of universities in the world
- 232nd in the world – QS World University Rankings 2018
- 251-300 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016/2017
- 301-400 band – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2016
- 313th in the world – U.S. News Best Global Universities Ranking 2017
- 264th in the world for research quality – 2016 Leiden Ranking
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 17th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2018
- 30th in the world – Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2017
Rated among Asia-Pacific region's best universities
- 40th – Times Higher Education Asia Pacific University Rankings 2017
Globally rated a five-star university
- 5 Star rating – QS World University Rankings 2016
- 5 Star rating in the 2017 Good Universities Guide for overall quality, student retention, learner engagement, learning resources, skill development, student support and teaching quality.
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- 98% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2015 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- More than 75% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates, ranking in the 151-200 band in the 2017 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
Top 50 in the world 2017 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 50 in the world Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017 by subject
- Energy Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
Top 150 in the world 2017 QS world rankings by subject
- Art and Design
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Materials Science
Top 200 in the world 2017 QS world rankings by subject
- Communication & Media Studies
- English Language and Literature
- Engineering - Mechanical
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Accounting and Finance
- Business and Management Studies
Recognition of our international focus
- Ranked 71st of the top 200 most international universities in the world - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015/2016
- Winner of the prestigious 2015 Hong Kong - Australia Business Association (NSW Chapter) Award, recognition of our contribution to the region through international education.
- Winner of a Business Excellence Award for Education and Training in the 2015 AustCham Westpac Australia-China Business Awards, recognising a long-term collaboration between the University of Wollongong and leading universities, research organisations and industry bodies in China.
UOW announced finalists in the HEA Global Teaching Excellence Award 2017
Following a rigorous judging process involving the world’s best higher education institutions, the University of Wollongong has been announced as the only NSW university, and one of five Australian universities, to be a finalist in Global Teaching Excellence Award 2017.
The Global Teaching Excellence Awards (GTEA) are an initiative of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), an independent UK-based national body which champions teaching excellence, in partnership with Times Higher Education. UOW is among 27 institutions shortlisted from among the top universities in Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
Entries for GTEA 2017 are assessed against three key criteria: Excellence in the Leadership of Teaching and Learning, Excellence in Teaching, and Excellence in Student Support. A 16-person independent panel comprised of international educationalists from America, Africa, Australia, Europe and Asia will judge the shortlisted entries, with the overall winner to be announced at a gala event in London on 4 September.
UOW in the media
Student satisfaction remains high at UOW..
Bangalay – the University’s newest student residence..
Beach safety program for international students..
UOW surges in QS World University Ranking by Subject results..
Goodwill Hunting event attracts almost 1000 students..
Students get inside look at Australia/US relationship..
UOWD announces major investment in new campus expansion..
International visit strengthens life sciences relationship..
Next-generation batteries a game changer for electric cars..
UOW has announced the raising of $10 million in investment capital..
More plaudits for SMART’s PetaJakarta project..