Web Based Material
The method of Lagrange multipliers is a geometric method based
on gradient vector fields and their relationship to level curves.
The following web pages show how Maple can be used to gain a solid
insight into the geometry of the method.
- The geometry of Lagrange multipliers is explored in the context of the
optimization problem on an elipse.
- Applications of Lagrange multipliers to find extrema on the
world famous Pringle surface, the most efficient way
to build a silo and a snowcone.
- Using maple to explore the geometry between Lagrange Multipliers.
- This site provides a quick overview of the method, a
problem list and provides hints on how to solve the problems. If you need
more practice at using Lagrange multipliers go here.
- Basic revision of minimisation and maximisation in one-dimension.
- "Lagrange multipliers are a pretty spiffy technique in multivariable
calculus, and yet a great many people don't have any clear idea what they
are or when they're useful. With luck, this overview will help to make the
concept and application a bit clearer."
Web Based Material - Computational Pages
- "In this notebook, we will examine the problem of finding the extreme
values of a function on a bounded region." (MATLAB)
- Collection of MATLAB links dealing with Multivariable Calculus.
My lecture notes are available
<< Return to my start page.
<< Return to my teaching home page.
Page Created: 15th March 2001.
Last Updated: 21st August 2002.