Discrete Population Models for a Single Species
This page contains material for the course: AMAT 2110
I will gradually make my lecture notes, including quizes and exam
- Part I:
- The failure of the linear model: The need for nonlinear
- Cobwebbing: A Graphical Solution.
- The logistic equation.
- Part II:
- Linear stability analysis of fixed point.
- Stability of the fixed points in the logistic equation.
- Exercises on fixed-point stability.
- Part III:
- Linear stability analysis of period-2 solutions.
- Stability of period-n orbits.
- Part IV:
- The period-doubling cascade to chaos.
- Part V:
- Fixed harvesting
- Proportional harvesting
The questions asked in quizzes comprise short little bits which
are designed to test you understanding of basic concepts.
The questions asked in a test are more `exam-like'.
Exam questions are exam-like. You may not be able to
do every question on a previous year's exam because the course
syllabus changes from year-to-year.
<< Return to my start page.
<< Return to my teaching home page.
Page Created: 18th April 2002.
Last Updated: 7th November 2003.