Link to the main page about the NSW ANZIAM branch.
Sydney area members of the Division of Applied Mathematics have formed a local branch of the Division and will meet approximately once a month during the academic year to hear talks on applications of mathematics in various fields. The October talk by Professor J.M. Blatt was "How to find the zeroes of a function"; the November talk by Professor P.R. Wilson was "What have sunspots got to do with applied mathematics?". For further information about the Sydney branch, contact the Secretary, W.B. Fraser, Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Sydney, Sydney, N.S.W. 2006.
The Australian Mathematical Society GAZETTE. Volume 1 No. 3, December, 1974. Page 94.
Sydney Branch Committee Chairman A.H. Klotz University of Sydney Secretary D. Cole Department of Science Members R. Aus High School P.W. Buchen University of Sydney A. Fenwick Navy Research A.T. Johnson Sydney Teachers College A. Manton CSIRO ex Officio V.T. Buchwald UNSW
Meeting held 7/4/76.A.T. Johnson spoke on "Can School Mathematics be Applicable?". The answer based on a very interesting case studies from the UK appears to be emphatically in the affirmative.
Plans for 1976-1977.General Theme: teaching of applied mathematics.
- Meeting on 9th June, 6pm., Carlsaw Building, University of Sydney.
V.T. Buchwald on "Role of Applied Mathematics in Tertiary Education".
- (Symposium on Fluid Mechanics at University of New South Wales, first week in July. Secretaries: Drs Manton and Banner).
- Meetings in August and September. One day symposium on Teaching, end of September at University of Sydney.
Points and Aims suggested by the Committee:
- evolving an "evolved study" course in applied mathematics for 12th year of school.
- compiling a register of jobs available to applied mathematicians or taken up by them.
The Australian Mathematical Society GAZETTE. Volume 3 No. 2, September, 1976. Page 58.
- Meetings and Functions Held in 1977.
The year 1977 was by and large a quiet one, though the Branch continued with the successful format of previous years; viz informal get-togethers plus 1-day symposia on specialised topics.
- The Annual General Meeting in August was extended to a wine-and-cheese affair. Professor R.I. Tanner was invited so speak on
"The Role of Computers in Engineering Education".
The Divisional amendments to the Sydney Branch Constitution were noted and recorded in the Minutes.
The 1978 Committee was elected as follows:
Chairman Professor R.I. Tanner Mech. Eng., USN Secretary Dr P.W. Buchen Appl. Maths., USN Treasurer Professor V.T. Buchwald Theor. & Appl. Mech., UNSW Committee Members Dr D.G. Cole I.P.S., Dept. Science Mr A.T. Johnson Maths Dept, S.T.C. Dr A.H. Klotz Applied Maths., USN Dr C. Scott Mech & Indus Eng., UNSW
- A successful 1-day symposium on
"The Theory and Practice of Optimisation"
was held on 18th November at UNSW and was ably organised by Dr K.L. Two. Some 55 participants attended. The 5 invited speakers were:
- Dr B. Murtagh (UNSW) - "The Current State of Nonlinear Programming"
- Dr B. Whan (CSR) - "Optimization in Agricultural Planning"
- Dr S. Cumming (BHP) - "Practical Problems in Large-Scale Statistical Analysis for the Steel Industry"
- Dr G. Couch (Electrical Commission of NSW - "Some Avenues of Application of Optimization to Electric Energy Systems"
- Mr A. Fitzpatrick (Bureau of Transport Economics, Canberra) - "The Assignment of Interdependent Facilities between Two Locations".
The Branch held a pre-Xmas get-together (wine and cheese) on 12th December. Professor V.T. Buchwald initiated a lively discussion on "Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and the HSC".
The Australian Mathematical Society GAZETTE. Volume 5 No. 2, August, 1978. Pages 59-60.
(continues from list of 1977 activities)
- Planned Activities for 1978
- In conjunction with the Applied Mathematics Department of Sydney University, the Branch will help to organise the First K.E. Bullen Memorial Lecture on 16th February.
Professor G.P. Carrier (Harvard) will deliver the lecture entitled "The Future of Applied Mathematics in Education and Research"
- Two 1-day symposia are planned. One on "Numerical Techniques; Theory and Application" for April. The other on "Biomathematics" for November.
- The Branch will no doubt be extremely busy, in addition, with the organisation of the 1979 Divisional Conference. ((On page 56 of the same issue, Dr P.W. Buchen is listed as the Conference Secretary for the 1979 Applied Mathematics Conference)).
The Australian Mathematical Society GAZETTE. Volume 5 No. 2, August, 1978. Page 60.