My research interests:
I work on service science, business process management, software engineering and medical informatics
on the one hand and AI on the other. My work in these areas are
closely inter-linked. My work spans the spectrum from
the very formal to the very applied. Some of the work I do in services
engineering crosses over into what might be properly described as
management, involving issues such as business process management,
strategy and strategic alignment. Some of this research could also
be characterized as information systems research. Some of the research I
do in AI crosses over into operations research, while some other
portions intersect with philosophy and cognitive science. Currently, my
work under the (very loosely defined and broad) "services" and "software engineering"
banner includes the following problems:
Medical informatics: I work with an international network of radiation oncologists, medical physicists and computer scientists in
applying data analytics and process analytics to distributed clinical datasets.
Services engineering, including service analytics, service optimization, service lifecycle
management and compliance issues.
Business process management - in particular managing process
lifecycles, regulatory and legislative compliance, business rules and
Process analytics: An area of growing interest, where we have interesting recent results on using data analytics for
process provisioning (CAISE-16, ICSOC-15, BPM-14), for managing process variants (BPM-15) and for mining process task post-conditions (ER-15).
Software analytics: Recent results on predicting risk in OSS projects won the ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Award at MSR-15.
engineering(this link describes an older project) and data analytics for RE (e.g., mining requirements models from enterprise data)
Model management systems: We're looking at how we might manage large
collections of multi-perspective, multi-stakeholder models in a
diversity of notations.
Agent-oriented conceptual modeling (particularly in the context of
i* and TROPOS). Some of my recent work addresses question relating to
how agent-oriented conceptual models co-evolve.
Rapid Model Discovery
(our ER-2007 paper describes some of this)
Knowledge representation and reasoning, including belief revision, belief merging, default reasoning
(including anytime techniques for
default reasoning and incrementally
learning default theories) and the integration
reasoning and constraint programming techniques.
Agent-based systems, specifically constraint-based agent
programming languages and extensions to AgentSpeak.
Constraint programming, where a lot my recent work hhas
My work in AI includes:
My research on supply chain management and optimization brings
many of these themes together. I've been involved in several
projects with Bluescope Steel and other organizations - this is a link
to one of these (an older one): Industry
collaborative project with BHP-IT(CSC) (ARC SPIRT project). We have
completed another ARC Linkage project with Bluescope Steel's Coated
Products division, and are engaged in another ARC Linkage project with
Bluescope Steel's Hot Strip Mill.
- Distributed CSP algorithms, in particular the SBDS algorithm.
- Semiring CSPs, where we are trying to build a comprehensive suite of
- Ahmed Alelaimat (PhD)
- Muhammad Asjad Khan (PhD)
- Yazeed Alzahrani (PhD)
- Rajib Dutta (PhD)
- Joel Kocherry (PhD)
- Geeta Mahala (Masters)
- Wisam Alzubaidi (PhD) (Co-supervisor)
- Abdulaziz Alhefdhi(PhD) (Co-supervisor)
- Shien Wee Ng (PhD) (Co-supervisor)
- Alexis Harper(PhD) (Co-supervisor)
Students who are about to graduate
Students who have graduated
- Dr. Didar Zowghi (PhD) (co-supervised) - currently Professor at the University of Technology,
- Dr. Louise Leenen (PhD) - currently a senior research scientist at CSIR, South
- A/Prof. Aneesh Krishna (PhD) - currently Associate Professor, Department of Computing, Curtin University of
- Dr. Peter Harvey (PhD)
- currently research scientist at Actenum Inc., Vancouver, Canada.
- Dr. Chattrakul Sombattheera - currently Lecturer, Mahasarakham
- Dr. Chee-Fon Chang (PhD)
- currently a post-doctoral research fellow with the Centre for Oncology
Informatics at the University of Wollongong.
- Dr. Aniruddha Dasgupta (PhD) - currently a Professor at IEM, Kolkata,
- Dr. Moshiur Bhuiyan (PhD) - currently IT industry consultant.
- Dr. Konstantin Hoesch-Klohe (PhD) - currently an industry consultant in Germany
- Dr. Jantima Polpinij
(PhD) - an Assistant Professor at the
Faculty of Informatics, Mahasarakham University, Thailand.
- Dr. Tri Kurniawan (PhD)- a Lecturer at Brawijaya University,
- Dr. Evan Morrison(PhD)
- Dr. Graham Billiau (PhD)
- Dr. Saugato Mukerji (PhD)
- Dr. Metta Santiputri (PhD), Assistant Professor, State Polytechnic of Batam, Indonesia.
- Dr. Karthikeyan Ponnalagu (PhD), Deputy General Manager, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions, Bangalore, India
- Dr. George Koliadis (PhD)(Posthumously awarded)
- Dr. Kerry Hinge (PhD)
- Dr. Morakot Choetkiertikul (PhD) (Co-supervisor)
- Farzad Salim (Masters) - currently research fellow, University
- Ying Guan (Masters)
- Zerong Chen
- Qiuming Lin
- Surapong Rattanaphuwalux (Masters) (co-supervised) - currently CEO,
- Boon Ooi (Masters)
- Cindy Olivia (Masters)
- Carlos Enguix (Masters) (co-supervised) - currently research scientist at DERI, Ireland.
- Syed Osama Ahmed
- Debby Andriani
- Ricky Lin (Masters)
- currently Project Manager - IT Infrastructure, Information technology
Services, Univ. of Wollongong.
I have had the privilege of working with Dr. Thomas Meyer, Dr. Sergiy
Vilkomir and Dr. Richard Booth, who have all been post-docs with me at
various points in time. They were followed by Dr. Lam-Son Le and Dr. Chee-Fon Cang. Currently,
I work with Dr. Mohamed Samir Barakat and Dr. Matthew Field.