Travelling to Wollongong Campus from the Illawarra
If you are travelling from a suburb in the Illawarra to Wollongong Campus public transport is available and is encouraged. Use Trip Planner to plan your trip for all NSW public transport modes. Opal fares apply and an Opal Student Concession is available to eligible students. For information on Opal cards and how to apply for a Opal Student Concession visit - uow.edu.au/student/central/travelpasses for details.
Train services are available and the closest station to UOW is North Wollongong Train Station. There are shuttle buses that connect the North Wollongong Train Station to the campus (North Gong Shuttle) . You can catch the free UOW North Gong Shuttle bus (refer to the North Gong Shuttle timetable for operating times) or the NSW State Government Gong Shuttle (on weekends). Download the UOW Shuttle App for timetables and route information. North Wollongong Station is also within walking distance of the campus (approximately 20 minutes).
There are also a number of bus services that are available and some come direct to UOW:
- Free UOW GK Shuttle that that operates in a loop around Gwynneville, Keiraville, Wollongong in a clockwise and anticlockwise direction (refer to the GK Shuttle timetable for operating times). Download the UOW Shuttle App for timetables and route information
- Free State government operated Gong Shuttle that operates in a clockwise and anticlockwise direction. Download the UOW Shuttle App for timetables and route information.
- Route 1U from Austinmer to Wollongong and Route 4U from Bulli to Wollongong (See the Route 1/1U/4/4U Timetable)
- Route 41 from Dapto via the Princes Highway, through Unanderra and Figtree and UOW via Robsons Road (see the Route 41 map and timetable)
- Route 11 from Wollongong, Mangerton, Figtree, Mount Keira and UOW via Robsons Road (See the Route 11 timetable)
- Route 53 from Shellharbour via Shellcove, Flinders, Warrawong, Windang, Primbee, Warilla (see the Route 53 map and timetable).
Other bus routes require changing buses at Fairy Meadow or Wollongong onto the Gong Shuttle. Refer to the Premier Illawarra (http://www.premierillawarra.com.au/timetables.html) and Dions bus service (http://www.dions.com.au/timetables) websites for timetable information. For details on the Gong Shuttle visit the shuttle buses webpage for information). The UOW Transport Access guide shows all the bus routes in Wollongong.
Walking is a great option for those travelling from neighbouring suburbs such as Keiraville and Gwynneville and parts of Fairy Meadow and Mount Ousley.
Alternatively, if you are travelling from suburbs such as Mount Keira, Coniston, Wollongong, Mount St Thomas, Corrimal, Fairy Meadow, Unanderra and Figtree then you could also cycle. Refer to the cycling webpage for details on cycle paths, cycle routes and information on the cycling and end of trip facilities available on campus.
Driving is an option, however it is not recommended due to limited parking and traffic congestion at peak times around the University. If you must drive then carpooling with three or more people is the best option. Refer to the Parking webpage for information.