Cycling to UOW
The Wollongong Campus is a short ride away from Wollongong CBD and many surrounding suburbs. It can be quicker to ride your bike than drive to campus, particularly during peak periods of session. Courteous and safe cycling is important to ensure the safety of everyone on campus. Cyclists may share paths with pedestrians, or use the ring road.
Bike racks, bike bases and end of trip facilities
Bike racks are located outside nearly every building on the Wollongong Campus. Other campuses also have racks available. Please email email@example.com if you think more bike racks are needed. Bicycles must be parked at designated bike racks, and not chained to railings, light posts, trees or buildings. Bikes not parked at designated racks may be impounded by Security.
It is strongly recommended that you use a D-Bolt lock to secure your bike to the rack.
At the Wollongong Campus, there are undercover and CCTV-monitored Bike Bases where you can lock up your bike and have access to shower facilities, change rooms and toilets. They're free to use for staff and students, you just need to get a UOW access card.
Bike bases are located at:
- SMART (Bld 6) - inside at the north western corner of the building - enter on the ground floor from the northern side.
- Arts (Bld 19) - at the south-east corner of the building near the car park.
- Early Start (Bld 21) - under the building on the north eastern side - access via car park or internal stairs.
- IHMRI (Bld 32) - under the building at the southern side - access via the car park.
- Sciences Teaching Facility (Bld 43) - under the building - access via the ring road.
Showers are available at all locations either inside the bike base (Bld 19 and Bld 32) or nearby.
Complete the Bike Base Access Application Form (pdf). If you don't yet have a UOW access card, take the form to the UOW Post Office in the UniShop. Access cards are $20 (once off fee).
Please note that while the University cannot accept responsibility for items lost or stolen from the bike bases, there are CCTV cameras in place, and card access to the rooms can be traced to the cardholder. UOW recommends that you lock up your bike and do not leave other valuables in the bike base. Please report any incidents immediately to UOW Security. Download the Tips for bike security brochure (pdf document).
Lockers for cyclists
Lockers are available in the bike bases in buildings 6, 19 and 21 and the cost is currently a $60 deposit plus $20 per year. Keys may be obtained by filling out the Bike Base Locker Application Form (pdf) and taking it to the Post Office in the UniShop. Lockers are available on a first come first served basis. Please read the terms and conditions of use on the back of the form.
Short term lockers are also available in the Sports Hub building near the showers. Contact UniActive (02 4221 8133).
Bike parking locations on campus
Use the interactive Wollongong Campus map to find bicycle parking on campus.
Electric bike charging
Electric bikes are only to be charged in appropriate locations (check with supervisor/managers in buildings), in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and under supervision by the owner.
Bike maintenance stations
The Wollongong Campus has two DIY bike repair stations located at the Jugglers Lawn (near the UniBar) and outside Bld 20. The stations have a bike pump and a selection of tools to help you keep your bike in top condition. Video maintenance tips are available by scanning the QR code on the station.
Bike share program
A bike share program has been established for student residents and is currently available at Bangalay and Kooloobong Village.
Bike safety and security
Tips to ride safely
- Wear an approved helmet that has been correctly fitted
- Observe road rules
- Be cautious when moving between paths and roads
- Give way, slow down, and use your bell when riding near pedestrians
- Do not ride at excessive speed
- Do not ride through building entrances, arcades or within buildings
- Use white headlight and rear red light after dark, and wear bright clothing or a safety vest
- Check the road worthiness of your bike (tyre tread and pressure, brakes, gearing, lights etc)
Report cycling hazards
- If you see any hazards or problems on campus, please forward details of the location and issue via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you see hazards or problems on the roads or cycleways around Wollongong, please report them to Wollongong City Council. You can use the app Snap Send Solve to send a photo and GPS location directly.
- The Roads and Maritime Services' website has a great section for NSW cyclists to "Report a cycle safety hazard". This function has been created to service all of NSW to ensure hazards are reported and directed to the appropriate authority.
- The StartLocal website also has a great guide to bike safety.
Bike theft can occur at the Wollongong Campus. Follow the tips from UOW Security, and ensure you use a good quality D or U bike lock.
UOW Bicycle User Group
The UOW Bicycle Users Group (BUG) is a group of staff and students who cycle and are interested in working to make cycling to University safer, easier and more enjoyable for every level of cyclist. If you are interested in being involved in the UOW Bug, please email email@example.com.
Other useful information for cyclists
- Centre for Road Safety Bicycle Riders information
- Wollongong City Council's Wollongong Cycling Guide and Map
- RMS Cycleway Finder
- Roads and Maritime Services cycling resources
- StartLocal website listing around 900 bike shops in Australia, to help you find your local bike shop