From live music and performance to delicious food and outdoor adventures, Open Day weekend in the Gong is not one to miss. Whether you have lived here your whole life, or visiting for Open Day, here's how you can make the most of your time.
Open Day is a great opportunity to take a tour of the campus or accommodation, learn about degrees or just chill on the lawn with the ducks. There will be loads of events, things to experience, and awesome prizes to be won - but here is how you can turn your Open Day into an epic weekend in Wollongong.
Check out the list of activities below:
Arts and culture
- Wollongonng Art Gallery: Explore the collections and see a range of exhibitions that will be on display.
- Nan Tien Temple Wander through the largest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere and stay for a delicious vegetarian lunch.
- Local museums: Uncover the history of this beautiful place.
- Merrigong Theatre Company: Performing at the Illawarra Performing Arts Centre, Merrigong always has an incredible line-up of productions on. Check out what they have on offer for your visit.
- The Servo Food Truck: Check out what's on at The Servo which hosts a range of gigs including live music, comedy, poetry and more.
- La La La's: If live music is what you're after, this is the place to check out in the centre of town.
Eat, Shop, Play
- Diggies Café: Have breakfast with a beach view.
- Lee and Me: Have breakfast in a converted terrace house in the centre of town.
- Principle Brewing: quench your thirst with Wollongong’s newest craft brewery, nestled in Fairy Meadow, serving southern goodness from Hank’s Fried Chicken
- Breakout Bar and Escape Rooms: Grab some friends and try your luck in the escape rooms, or grab a microphone and belt out some karaoke tunes!
- Holey Moley and B Lucky & Sons: bounce between these neighbouring venues for a spot of golf and a round in the 80s-inspired "bar"cade
- Wollongong Central and Crown Street Mall: For those in need of retail therapy.
- Thirroul Village: head up north to the sleepy coastal suburb, packed with vintage shops, quirky boutiques and cute cafes
- The Fitz: enjoy a sunset dinner and drink with a mountain view at this Melbourne-inspired rooftop bar in Bulli
- Moominn and Uncle Bok's: these sister restaurants in Wollongong's famous Crown Street fuse Eastern European and traditional Asian cuisines with decilcious drinks and an insta-worthy interior.
- Illawarra escarpment: Pick a path and explore the landscape. Venture up Mount Keira or Mount Kembla, or challenge yourself with the steps to Sublime Point (the view is totally worth it).
- Chase waterfalls: You can find many gems in the region, including Fitzroy Falls, Belmore Falls, Macquarie Falls and endless beautiful spots in the Royal National Park.
- Skydive the Beach: Join 19,000 people who jump from perfectly good planes every year at the only place in NSW where you can land on the beach.
- Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk: Zipline or walk through 45 metres above the forest floor.
- Grand Pacific Drive and Sea Cliff Bridge: Cruise along the scenic coastal road.
- Whale spotting: This is prime whale-spotting season. Keep your eyes peeled from one of the many coastal lookouts, including Bald Hil
- The Waterfront Shell Cove: Go for a leisurely stroll around the newly built Marina and breathe in the ocean air.
- Wollongong Botanic Gardens Just across the road from UOW, take a stroll through the gardens, learn about conservation or just relax and soak up some nature.