Your Discovery Day will provide you with an opportunity to experience, for a day, life as a university student. For example, finding your way around our campus, reading timetables and attending classes. You're going to have a great time.
About Discovery Day
It's not really a day for you to gain specific information on the courses offered by the University of Wollongong (UOW) - this will come later in the year, at a Year 12 Information Evening, or our Open Day. Discovery Day is about getting you here to experience life as a uni student and to find out what kind of subjects and degree you might like to do once you finish year 12.
The Discovery Day program is aimed at Year 12 students who are eligible for an ATAR and interested in future university study. If you do not intend to go to university, you shouldn't attend Discovery Days.
A few things to keep in mind on the day:
When you arrive
- Ensure that you have read the transport guide and know how you will be getting to and from the campus for Discovery Days – you'll be coming with your school, so check this with your Careers Adviser too.
- When you arrive on the day, you'll need to check-in at the University Hall (building 11) to receive your timetable etc. This will be done according to your surname (not school).
Please check that you spell your name correctly in the Discovery Days online registration system and correct any mistakes, because however you write your name in the registration process is how your name will be written on your Discovery Day timetable.
- UOW has been working closely with your school to organise your visit - so if you have any questions; in the first instance check with your Careers Adviser.
- Due to size restrictions in sessions, it is important that you only attend the sessions you are enrolled in. Organisers will be as fair as possible in allocating session preferences to all students; in most cases - this will be done on a first in-first served basis.
- Please arrive to your sessions on time and do not leave the sessions before they are completed. It is important that you DO NOT leave half way through Session 6. All buses will be departing from the Western Car Park (P4) at 3:00pm so you will have ample time to make your bus after any session.
Finding your way
- To navigate your way around the campus and find the room that your classes are in, please keep your eye out for signs and UOW students wearing red t-shirts. You will also receive a map of the campus on the day when you check-in.
- Lunch will be from 12pm - 1pm. There will be entertainment on the Duck Pond Lawn. You should bring your own lunch - or you can buy food from UOW's facilities. Prices are comparable to any fast food take-away outlets. Check out our food outlets.
- If you're staying overnight, your school may have booked for UOW to provide a packed lunch. Check with your teachers before your visit so that you can plan accordingly. These lunch packs will be available for pick up from the UOW Library during the lunch break. You will need to show the wristband issued to you to collect this lunch pack.
- Please bring a pen and paper
- Please be sun-smart on the day. Sunscreen and a hat are a must!
Bring a re-usable bottle of water - we have water re-fill stations where you can top up during the day.
- Make sure you enjoy your day!
At the end of the day
All bus and car departures at the end of the day will exit from the Western Car Park . Due to the volume of participants and buses involved, it is important that you do not meet at any other point other than at the Western Car Park. There will be UOW students and staff direct you to this car park at the end of the day.