Information for parents & guardians

For your child, living on-campus in a student residence offers an opportunity for them to live in an established – yet organic - community that provides them with academic support, pastoral care, a range of interesting programs and in many cases – food.

Their home away from home

Your child will be entering a new and exciting phase of their life as they leave the home, change towns, start studying at UOW and make friends, many from vastly different social and cultural backgrounds, differing academic interest and life views.

When you throw all of this together, sometimes moving away for uni can prove a little daunting.

Parents and guardians should be reassured that staff in the residences have many years of experience in assisting new students to assimilate into their new environment.

Homesickness, missing family, confusion about uni life, where to find a doctor or dentist, the nearest supermarket or church, how and where to change foreign currency and open a bank account – are all issues that our staff have dealt with many times.

Parents and guardians should feel free to contact the Associate Director, Student Residence (ADSR) if they have any concerns at all about their son or daughter. No problem is ever considered too small – it may be that you have not received a phone call for some time. Our staff are more than happy to pass along a message to phone home. Each residence has contact information on its website.

See how Hannah and her parents handled the move

Swapping the open pastures of Tamworth for the white sandy beaches of Wollongong was a big move for Hannah, but her parents knew she was both independent and in good hands.

Read their story
Hannah and friends at cafe