How is this program run?
This program is running both face-to-face and online.
What will I do?
You will assist newly arriving international students to the University of Wollongong in their transition to living in Australia. Your interpersonal and cross-cultural skills will provide social support for these international students as they adjust to their new surroundings in the lead up to the start of session. You will lead new international students through the first two weeks of their arrival in Australia, providing social support, general guidance, and referral to appropriate UOW student support services where necessary.
How will I benefit?
- Develop transferable skills required to effectively interact with people from various cultural backgrounds
- Gain a rewarding experience as a volunteer enhancing the wellbeing of new international students
- Gain first-hand understanding of the challenges faced by international students to shape them towards to being empathetic and sensitive to issues relevant to people from overseas residing in Australia
How do I apply?
Complete the Expression of Interest Form
Are there any special requirements for this role?
No special requirements, however this program runs through the University break so you must be available outside of UOW academic sessions.
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx Recognition, you must complete the following:
- An ‘engaged’ student will need to complete a minimum 5 hours in a calendar year
- A ‘highly engaged’ student will need to complete 10 hours in a calendar year
Please email email@example.com
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||Approximately five hours per assigned mentee over the course of 14 days.||