With COVID-19, how is this program running in 2021?
This program is running both face-to-face and online.
What will I do?
The BAL International Peer Mentor Network (BIPMN) program focuses on supporting new incoming UOW business & law international students by pairing them with International Peer Mentors to support their transition. BIPMN can also support business & law international students at any sta ge of their degree looking for further guidance.
As the mentee in BIPMN, you will take the initiative in learning from your mentor the issues related to moving from overseas to Australia including culture shock, communication challenges, and homesickness. Through regular consultations with your mentor, generaly up to 2 hours per week, you will develop strategies to cope with and overcome your own challenges faced with moving to Australia for your studies.
The International Peer Mentors are experienced UOW business & law students who can share their knowledge and experience, and aim to build confidence in their mentees to adjust to university life in Australia.
Mentorships may last for one semester/trimester or longer.
How will I benefit?
Through regular engagement with their mentor, students will:
- Gain an appreciation of culture shock and what it means to them, and impact on their transition to living in Australia;
- Develop their cross-cultural communication skills through written and verbal engagement with their mentor; and
- Build their confidence in navigating the diverse environment of the University and broader community
How do I apply?
To be assigned a mentor or for more information about the program, please email one of the following depending on which campus you are based at:
Wollongong & South Western Sydney campus: email@example.com
Sydney campus: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are there any special requirements for this role?
A student of the Faculty of Business & Law or Sydney Business School, UOW.
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx Recognition, you must complete the following:
- An ‘engaged’ student will need to be complete 12 hours over a calendar year
- A ‘highly engaged’ student will need to complete 15 hours over a calendar year
Please visit the BIPMN site for more information.
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||2 hours per week||