Student visa

Your student visa allows you to stay in Australia while you are studying. Australian immigration laws are very strict and if you do not comply with the conditions on your visa, you might have your visa cancelled and have to leave the country. If this happens you may not be able to return to Australia for another 3 years.

Your student visa should be valid at all times: if you allow it to lapse, you will have to leave the country and re-apply for a new visa to come to Australia. To avoid this you should apply online with the Department of Home Affairs to renew your visa before it is due. Give yourself at least 2 months before your visa is due to start applying. Don't leave it too late!

Visa information and student conditions are updated regularly, so it is important to always check your information is correct and up-to-date. There are a number of ways to do this which are listed below:

  • Visit the International Student Website. Through the International Student website you can access International Student administration and visa information.
    The International Student website also provides information regarding the ESOS legislation and National Code and its implications for International Students. This site is updated regularly.

  • Student Central are able to help with enquires relating to applying for a new COE and are always a good place to start to ask for advice:
    Student Central - Building 17, Ground Floor
    Phone: 02 4221 3927

Immigration advice

In Australia, only certain people can provide migration advice to people who wish to enter or stay in Australia. Immigration laws are very complex and the Department of Home Affairs regulations change frequently. Under Australian law, only government registered Migration Agents may give immigration advice. If you do decide to see a migration agent you must check that they are registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). Registered Agents are listed on the MARA website and a list of Migration Agents can be searched according to where you live.

Most Migration Agents do charge a fee, so it is advised you phone and make an appointment and ask what fee if any will be charged.

Department of Home Affairs are also able to provide advice about different visas that are available and the conditions and requirements associated with these. Have a look at their website for more information.

The SSAs are not authorised to give immigration advice and are limited in the assistance they can legally provide. If you are requiring assistance go and see your faculty SSA who can direct you in the right direction.