We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you personalised advertising. To find out more, read our privacy policy and cookie policy

SSA services

The University of Wollongong wants all students to succeed in their studies, but recognises that some students face unique challenges. Student Support Advisers (SSAs) offer a free and confidential service and are available to all students. SSAs are able to provide advice and information on support services within UOW as well as in the wider community.

The challenges that students face can be complex, varied and can impact students and their ability to study in different ways. This is why talking to a Student Support Adviser can be valuable, as there is often not a one-size-fits-all resolution. SSAs will help with your problems when they can. When it is appropriate, they will refer you to other helpful services at UOW or within the wider community.

If you are experiencing any of the below issues, please contact your SSA:

  • Feeling overwhelmed
  • Mental health issues
  • Difficulty adjusting to living and studying in Australia
  • Difficulty understanding UOW policies and procedures
  • Lack of motivation
  • Accommodation issues/homelessness
  • Family problems
  • Chronic physical or mental illness
  • Carer responsibilities
  • Assistance required to improve academic skills
  • Learning difficulties
  • Family crisis e.g. serious illness or death of a family member
  • English language issues
  • Assistance required to appeal an academic decision (including a review of mark or grade)
  • Assistance required in lodging a complaint
  • Difficulty adjusting to tertiary education
  • Financial difficulties
  • Domestic Violence
  • Sexual assault or sexual harassment

For immediate information or support



Student Support Advisers can link you to all UOW services

Students from equity or Indigenous backgrounds

Research has shown that if you identify as any of the following, then starting at uni and successfully completing your studies can be a bit more difficult than for other students. are:

  • an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student
  • a student from a family with a low income
  • a female student who is studying in a non-traditional area (e.g. engineering)
  • a student from a rural or isolated area

Student Support Advisers (SSAs) can give you information about the support available and programs that may make your time at uni a little more manageable. We also provide you with personal support and can refer your to any community services that may be of assistance.

If you are struggling to juggle your studies and your other responsibilities or are having difficulties please come and speak with your faculty SSA to find out what support is available to you.

International Students 

Student Support Advisers (SSAs) can help international students during their stay in Australia. They assist students with a range of issues such as orientation to the local area, homesickness, study difficulties, academic concerns, budgeting, legal/accidents, student visas, health, personal problems, family emergencies and children's education. They can give advice about returning home after you complete your studies. The service is free and confidential.

Check out the International Student Programs (ISP) website for resources and information.

Students with a disability

Students with an injury or medical condition that will affect their studies should register with UOW Disability Services on enrolment or as soon as possible after you become aware that your studies are being impacted. Registration can be either temporary or on-going depending on your circumstances.

Carers of a person with an injury or medical condition can also register.

Disability Services can arrange adjustments and resources for you if your medical condition , injury or medical condition is affecting your studies. They may be able to provide you with things such as: alternative exam arrangements, assistive technology, access to lecture notes and advice and support.

The Student Support Advisers (SSAs) provide a link between students, Disability Services, your Faculty and the appropriate Academics.

Student Support Advisers help to coordinate the support you need from your faculty whilst you are studying. We can also give you more information about Disability Services and can help to arrange your first meeting with them.

If you are registered with Disability Services and are having difficulties with your studies you should see yours as soon as possible.