Methods and Materials Section
This is the section that tells your reader “how” you carried out the testing or experiments that were part of your research. It may have sections that explain:
- WHEN the study was carried out
- WHERE the study carried out
- what MATERIALS were used in the study, and
- HOW the study was carried out / WHAT procedures were used.
This last point might include issues such as the statistics that were used to analyse data. Remember that a materials and methods section should not present any other information: it should not have results or discussion elements mixed in with the description of materials and methods.
Find out more about Materials and Methods Sections (PDF file)
- Biology Materials and Methods Section (PDF file)
- Education Materials and Methods Section (PDF file)
- Engineering Materials and Methods Section (PDF file)