Preparing for your ceremony
You could be allocated to a ceremony on any date during the graduation ceremony period so make sure you don't make prior commitments on those days if you want to attend your ceremony. You will be advised of the exact date and time of your ceremony about a month before your ceremony via SOLS. Refer to the key dates for more information.
As part of your graduation fee, your academic dress (gown, hood and cap) will be provided. You are required to wear the approved University of Wollongong academic dress when taking part in your graduation ceremony. When you collect your booklet (which has your seat number), you will be provided your academic dress. UOW staff will select the appropriate academic dress for you and help you put the garments on. Registration and gowning is held in Building 11 Student Space. Please note that if you purchase your academic dress from the UniShop, you are still required to pay your graduation fee.
When collecting your academic dress, please advise staff if you are an honours graduate.
WHAT TO WEAR ON THE DAY
A graduation ceremony is a formal occasion with smart casual wear being the minimum standard for graduates and their guests.
Keep in mind:
- the academic gown is three-quarters in length and opens at the front, so your clothes will be visible
- it is made of heavy material, so you may wish to leave your jacket with your family or friends
- you will also be wearing an academic trencher or bonnet on your head so we recommend a hairstyle that allows this to sit comfortably
- you will need to utilise stairs to access the stage so we recommend that you consider this when selecting your footwear
You are welcome to enrich the colour of the ceremony with garments from your cultural tradition.
PURCHASING ACADEMIC DRESS
Graduates who wish to purchase academic dress for graduation can do so at any time of the year from the Unishop.
If for any reason a particular item may be out of stock, you must place your order no later than 6 weeks prior to the ceremony. Orders must be placed in writing on the order form and either:
- faxed to (02) 4221 8055 and marked "Attention: Academic Dress Officer", or
- posted to:
Academic Dress Officer
Wollongong UniCentre Ltd
PO Box U100
University of Wollongong NSW 2522
Orders will be available for collection from the UniShop Enquiry Counter inside the UniShop on the day of graduation.
For prices and order forms please visit the UniShop Website and for more information call (02) 4221 8090.
Each graduate is allocated up to 3 guest tickets for Wollongong ceremonies and up to 4 guest tickets for Shoalhaven ceremonies. Tickets are to be collected at registration on the day of the ceremony. Children requiring a seat during the ceremony will need a ticket.
The venues have strict limits on the number of people that can be safely accommodated inside, and so there is a limit on guests. No extra tickets can be requested. The Wollongong graduation ceremonies are also screened live on a television in the foyer of the Hall and at the UniBar for those guests unable to be seated in the Hall.
We would like to assist with any special seating requirements, or accommodate any mobility or disability issues, including vision or hearing needs.
Arrangements do take time, so please contact the Graduation Coordinator by emailing email@example.com at least three weeks before your graduation with the following information:
1. Your full name
2. Your contact phone number
3. The date and time of your ceremony or the course/faculty you are graduating from
4. You or your guest/s special seating or other request
5. The total number of guests you are bringing to the ceremony (max 3 people)