Your graduation day: Wollongong students
You should arrive at the University at least an hour and fifteen minutes before the commencement of the ceremony. If you arrive late, you may not be allowed to attend the ceremony and your fee will not be refunded. There may be traffic and parking delays in the vicinity of the University so please allow additional time for your trip.
Registration and gown collection will be in Building 11, upstairs in the Student Space. The ceremony is in the University Hall.
There is free parking available for graduating students in the University Hall car park - P8 (enter via the first roundabout). To minimise parking congestion, graduates are encouraged to travel with all their guests in one vehicle.
If the University Hall car park becomes full, security gate-keepers will advise you of alternative parking locations on, or around campus. The University parking fees are payable for these parking spaces.
Before the ceremony
Once you arrive on campus, you need to visit the registration desk in the Student Space, upstairs in Building 11. Due to the amount of people attending, guests cannot accompany you, so arrange to meet them outside the Hall to give them their tickets. Students not registered 45 minutes prior to the commencement of the ceremony may not be permitted to participate.
Registration desk opening hours:
- For the morning ceremony commencing at 9.45am, the registration desk is open from 8:00am until 9:00am.
- For the afternoon ceremony commencing at 2.30pm, the registration desk is open from 1:00pm until 1:45pm.
At the registration desk you will:
- Present your student ID card
- Receive your program booklet (marked with your name and reserved seat number)
- Receive your guest tickets (each graduate is allocated up to 3 guest tickets)
- Get dressed in your hired academic dress
- Receive your trencher (graduation hat) or bonnet (PhD graduates only)
During the ceremony
You should be seated in your allocated seat at least 20 minutes before the ceremony. So that each student is presented in the correct order to the Presiding Officer, it is essential that you sit in the seat number that you have been allocated. Please do not swap or change where you sit.
Accepting your congratulations certificate on stage
- Ushers will direct you throughout the ceremony process and will adjust your academic dress before you ascend the stairs onto the stage.
- We suggest you receive your congratulations certificate with your left hand so you can shake the Presiding Officer's right hand.
- Once you receive your award, you will 'tip your cap' (by raising your cap slightly with your right hand) to the Presiding Officer before descending the stage.
Students are expected to stay until the end of the ceremony to support fellow classmates.
A professional photographer will take photographs of you as you receive your congratulations certificate and these will be available for purchase. Other services, including portrait photography, will also be available on the day. Please visit Graduation Services for more information.
After the ceremony
All graduates and their guests are invited to attend a reception following their ceremony, where you can mingle with other graduates and enjoy light refreshments. This is generally held on the Duck Pond Lawn unless the weather is inclement; when you will proceed to UniBar, located near the Hall.
Return your academic dress
Your Academic Dress must be returned after your ceremony by 12:45 pm for morning ceremonies and 4:45 pm for afternoon ceremonies.