Fees & Assistance

Student Contributions Amounts and Tuition Fees for Enabling, Non-Award and Cross-Institutional Courses for Domestic Students

On this page...

  1. What is an enabling course?
  2. Commonwealth Supported Places
  3. Full fee paying places
  4. Tuition fees
  6. What is a census date?
  7. Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

 1. What is an enabling course?

An enabling course is a course of study that is designed to assist students in gaining entry to a degree program. Enabling courses do not lead to a higher education award in their own right.

Enabling courses can have a mix of Commonwealth supported places and full fee paying places. Your offer of admission will advise you which place you have been granted.

For details on available enabling courses, through the University of Wollongong and Wollongong College Australia, please visit the Prospective Students website.


 2. Commonwealth Supported Places

Commonwealth Supported places are places where the government provides the majority of funding for the educational costs of the course.

Students who are Commonwealth supported in an enabling course are not required to pay a student contribution amount to cover their tuition. 

Commonwealth supported places are available in the following courses:

  • Mathematics Enabling Course - All places
  • Bridging Course for enrolled Nurses - All places
  • Special Tertiary Entrance Program (STEP) - All places
  • University Access Program (UAP) - Limited number of places. Students may apply for a Commonwealth supported place and these will be allocated on a merit and equity basis. Students must have been granted an offer of admission before they can apply for a Commonwealth supported place in the UAP.


 3. Full fee paying places

Students who are not granted a Commonwealth supported place are full fee paying students. These students must pay the full tuition fee for their course. Eligible students may be able to apply for FEE-HELP to assist with their tuition fees.

Fee paying places are available in the following courses:

  • Foundation Studies - All places
  • University Access Program (UAP) - all places that are not Commonwealth supported.

 4. Tuition fees

Tuition fees are based on the Equivalent full-time study load (EFTSL) value of the subjects undertaken. 1 EFTSL is equivalent to 1 year of full-time study undertaken over two sessions. The study load structure over each session varies depending on the course.


Total EFTSL value of course

Total tuition fee

Foundation Studies (2 session)



University Access Program


$3,420 (Limited number of Commonwealth Supported places available)

Special Tertiary Entrance Program (STEP)


Commonwealth supported only

Mathematics Enabling Course
Commonwealth supported only
Bridging Course for enrolled Nurses
Commonwealth supported only
Non-Award Study (any subject)
$500.00 per credit point
Cross-Institutional Study
All Undergraduate subjects
Commonwealth supported only
Postgraduate subjects in:
Social Sciences variable $500.00 per credit point
Science, Medicine and Healthvariable$500.00 per credit point
Law, Humanities and the Arts variable$500.00 per credit point
$500.00 per credit point
Engineering and Information Sciences variable$500.00 per credit point

 Students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place are exempt from paying any tuition fees. Please note that this does not cover other costs such as compulsory service charges, textbooks, or living expenses.



FEE-HELP provides a loan to eligible fee-paying students to cover part or all of their tuition fees.

You are eligible for FEE-HELP if you:

  • Are enrolled as a non-commonwealth supported, fee-paying student, AND;
  • Are an Australian citizen or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.

Please Note: New Zealand Citizens and other permanent visa holders are not eligible for FEE-HELP and must pay tuition fees upfront.

Students can borrow up to the limit of the tuition fees charged for their course.  The Fee-HELP limit in 2015 is $122,162 for Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science students and $97,728 for all other students.  The Fee-HELP limit is indexed on 1 January each year.  Your Fee-HELP debt is repaid via the Australian Taxation Office once your income reaches the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.

FEE-HELP can only be used to cover tuition fees for your course and cannot be used to cover other fees such as student body fees, accommodation, and textbooks.

Applications for FEE-HELP are made during enrolment. You will need to provide a Tax File Number to UOW pre-census in order to apply for FEE-HELP.

Applications for FEE-HELP must be finalised before the census date for each session (see census date information below).

The FEE-HELP information booklet is available from the Study Assist website.


 6. What is a census date?

The census date is the date by which you must have finalised your subject selection and payment for a particular session. If you wish to apply for FEE-HELP, you must do so before the census date for the session has passed.

If you have applied for FEE-HELP, any unpaid tuition fees are automatically added to your FEE-HELP debt after the census date for that session has passed.

For information on census dates, please visit the Session & Key Dates web page.


 7. Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

Students in a Commonwealth supported place or those who have accessed FEE-HELP will be issued with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) within 28 days after the census date for your session has passed. The CAN will include the following information:

  • Your name and student number
  • Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)
  • The course you are enrolled in for that session
  • The total Equivalent Full Time Study Load (EFTSL) value you are enrolled in for the session
  • The total amount of any up-front payments
  • The total amount of FEE-HELP debt.
  • For each subject it will also list the subject code, census date, EFTSL value, and whether you were required to pay tuition fees (fee paying students), or were exempt (Commonwealth supported students) for that subject.

The CAN will be sent to all students electronically via SOLS. You will have 14 days to advise the University if the information on your CAN is incorrect.

Last reviewed: 7 November, 2017