Student complaints - redirect


The University aims to treat any concern or complaint seriously, and will seek a resolution as quickly as possible.

What is a complaint?

General Complaints

If you have experienced a problem with a UOW service, product, staff member or student, and you would like a formal investigation to commence, then you should let us know by submitting a formal complaint.

Academic Complaints / Review of Mark or Grade

If you have a specific concern about a mark or grade you received or you have an issue with a decision we’ve made that has affected your academic progress (e.g. academic consideration, reasonable adjustment, credit for prior learning or supplementary assessment) we ask that you first speak to a staff member close to the issue and seek to resolve to your concern informally. If you’re not satisfied with the informal outcome you can then submit a formal request for a Review of Mark or Grade or a formal Academic Complaint.

Feedback and Suggestions

If you have general feedback i.e. suggestions, praise, or a concern (and you are not requesting a formal investigation) feedback can be submitted via UOW's Feedback portal.

Complaint resolution process

Complaint Process

Step 1 - resolve informally

Self-managed stage – wherever possible, UOW encourages individuals to attempt to resolve the issue at the first level i.e., with the respective area/person, service, before lodging a formal complaint. If you are a student, you are encouraged to work through the matters of concern with the appropriate staff member (closest to the situation) as this is often the most effective way to resolve issues without further escalation. For example most issues can be resolved informally through discussion with your faculty, Tutor, Lecturer, Course Advisor, Head of Students or the head of the relevant academic or administrative unit.

Step 2 - Submit formal complaint

University-managed stage – If you are dissatisfied with the outcome at the self-managed stage you are welcome to escalate your issue through the formal complaint process.

Academic Complaints

Academic Complaints Policies:

Submitting a complaint in a coursework subject (including Honours):

Submitting a complaint about Higher Degree Research (HDR) Candidature:

If you have any comments or questions please contact the Academic Quality and Standards Unit by emailing

Non-Academic Complaints

If you have a complaint relating to a non-academic matter, you can contact the Complaints Management Centre.

Step 3 - Appeal process

External Avenues – If you have followed all internal complaint resolution processes, you are welcome to refer your matter to an external body.

The NSW Ombudsman is one avenue you can use to make a complaint about administrative actions and decisions of the University.

If you have not followed the University's internal grievance procedures, the Ombudsman may ask you to do so before accepting the complaint.

Need help?

UOW has a range of services that can assist you with advice and guidance - including Student Support Advisors, Student Advocacy Officers, Student Central, and your Faculty Staff.

Last reviewed: 29 October, 2018