Personal details

Personal details

Change Details Banner

Student contact details

Students can change and/or update contact information (address and/or phone) in SOLS.  Simply log-in and select ‘Address and Contact Details’ from the left hand menu.

Official names

Official names are a students first, middle and/or surname.  Official names appear on official UOW documentation such as Transcripts and Testamurs.  If a student has legally changed their name they can update their information by visiting Student Central (Wollongong campus) or their local campus.  To update an official name, an original or certified copy of the following evidence must be provided: 

  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Change of name certificate

A student’s official name(s) with UOW must match the name(s) shown on their evidence documentation (middle names are optional).  Official names are recorded by UOW in full, initials and abbreviations are not used.


There are three gender options at UOW, they are:  

  • Female (F)
  • Male (M)
  • Other / Indeterminate / Intersex (X)

If a student has legally changed their gender they can update their information by visiting Student Central (Wollongong campus) or their local campus.  To update gender information, an original or certified copy of the following evidence must be provided:

  • Valid passport
  • Amended birth certificate
  • A State or Territory Gender Recognition Certificate (or a recognised certificate showing that a State or Territory Registrar of Birth Deaths and Marriages has accepted the preferred sex); or 
  • A support statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner (or a Registered Psychologist). 

Preferred first name

Students may change their preferred first name name, for e.g., from Timothy to Tim, in SOLS.  To do this, log into SOLS and select 'Student Forms' and 'Add Preferred First Name'.  The preferred first name will appear on class roles, but not on official documentation. 


Non-academic/professional titles are considered self-declared and do not require evidence, for e.g., Mr, Ms, Mrs, Miss.  Students may choose whichever non-academic/professional title they prefer.  Chosen titles are not restricted by gender.  To update preferred titles, students can change this by visiting Student Central (Wollongong campus), or their local campus.

Students seeking to change their title to an academic and/or professional title such as Dr or Prof, simply visit Student Central (Wollongong campus), or their local campus with an original, or certified copy of:

  • Valid Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Australian driver’s license; or 
  • Testamur or Transcript verifying academic title. 

Citizenship or Visa

Students who have changed from an international student visa to another visa, or who have obtained Australian citizenship can visit Student Central (Wollongong campus), or their local campus, with an original or certified copy of their official documentation for verification.  Students wishing to have Citizenship or Visa changes applied to their tuition fees will need to provide evidence of any change before the relevant session census date (fees due date).  When evidence has been provided, changes will apply to all study periods where the  relevant census date has not yet passed.

For more information, please review the Fees or Domestic Billing Options webpages.

Tax File Number (Help Loan Eligibility)

It is a mandatory requirement by the Australian Government (DET) for all Australian students, and eligible New Zealand Special Category Visa Holders, to update their personal details with UOW and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) if they wish to access HELP Loan (HECS or Fee HELP).  If a students personal details (name and date of birth) recorded at UOW do not match the personal details recorded against their Tax File Number at the ATO, the student will not be able to access a HELP Loan. 

Students who have changed their personal details should:

  1. provide an original or certified copy of their official documentation to either Student Central (Wollongong campus) or their local campus to have their information updated; and      
  2. contact the ATO Helpline on 13 28 61 to update their personal details.  Alternatively, students can create (or access) a myGov account which will link their personal details direct with the ATO.  Details for myGov account creation can be found here.  

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders

Students can self-declare their Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status at the time of application (or when they first enrol in a new degree).  Verifications for this status are not required.  If a student would like to change their Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander status after enrolment they can do so by:

  1. Logging into SOLS
  2. Selecting Personal Details & Consent – Student Statistical Information 
  3. Continuing to the second page
  4. Changing the status option on this page; and 
  5. Clicking submit. 


Last reviewed: 30 August, 2018