Contact us

Help with Online Enrolment 

At UOW, we want to make your online enrolment as easy as possible.  The 'Online Enrolment Guideline' provides students with step by step instructions to help with the enrolment process.  Alternatively, the following list of frequently asked questions may also provide troubleshooting assistance.

If you still can't find the information you need, please complete the require further information enquiry form and a student service specialist will get back to you for assistance.   

Important information

I’m having problems accessing the system

Don’t panic. You may need to clarify one of the following categories below before you can start your enrolment:

  1. Student type on admissions does not match - we just need to confirm you are a Domestic student. To do so, please email a certified copy of your passport and/or birth certificated to
  2. Not a valid offer/ conditional offer - if you have studied at another University, UOW will require a certified copy of your Academic transcript.  A scan of this document can be emailed to the Future Students team for verification.
  3. Don’t know your student number - if you applied to UOW directly, your student number will be referenced in your offer letter/email.  If you applied via the University Admissions Centre (UAC), your student number is sent to you via email (within a week or so after receiving your offer from UAC) to your preferred email account.  Please note, even if you receive multiple offers from UOW, your student number will stay the same.  If you are still unsure, you are more than welcome to contact the Future Students team on 1300 367 869.

How do I login for the first time?

The first time you login you will need to use your student number and date of birth. Your student number is referenced in your offer letter/email.

Please make sure you have this information ready before commencing your enrolment.

When should I enrol?

It is recommended that you start the enrolment process as soon as possible after receiving your offer letter/email and/or your offer to enrol email. 

Students can start the enrolment process 60 days before any session commences.  

Can I use my smart phone to enrol?

Yes, our enrolment screens are mobile-friendly. However, the system has been optimised for tablets, laptops and desktops, so your experience will be more user-friendly if you use a device with a larger screen.

Why do some enrolment screens have a tick?

Each time you complete a screen the system will display a tick on the navigation panel (top of screen). 

If you still have things to do, the system will display a warning sign.  With the exception of the photo upload screen, you will need to make sure that each screen has a tick as the system will not allow you to continue while a warning sign is displayed. 

If all screens have not been completed, you will not be considered to be enrolled as UOW student.

I've completed my enrolment process but I want to log back in.

Once you receive your enrolment summary via email, you won’t be able to log back into the enrolment system.  The good news is that you can change any of the information (including subjects and billing type) through your SOLS account.  This will be activated approximately one hour after completing the enrolment process.

NOTE: If you have received a subsequent offer at UOW, you can re-enter the system and enrol in your new course.

Why do I need to enter recovery information?

Recovery information is very important, it is there for you if you need to reset your password (or other personal information) at any given time.  Make sure you enter an email address that you have personal access to during your time at UOW.

NOTE: This should NOT be an agent or high school email address. An appropriate example is a @hotmail or @gmail email account.

Enrolment language help

At UOW you will hear a lot of jargon.  The following are some of the more common enrolment terminologies that you will hear:

SOLS: SOLS stands for Student Online Services, and is UOW's online student administration system. It is the main tool UOW uses to update students on important information (concerning courses etc.). You will use SOLS a lot during your time at UOW so it is important to keep your SOLS information recorded.  Find out more about SOLS.

UOWmail: UOWmail is your unique UOW email account. Not only is this account for life, but it entitles you up to five downloads of the entire Microsoft Office suite.  More information about UOWMail can be found here.

Moodle: is UOW's online learning platform.  Over the course of your study, a Subject Coordinator may set up a Moodle site for certain subjects.  You can access Moodle through your SOLS account.

Back to top

Personal details

What do I do if my personal details in the enrolment system are incorrect?

If ANY of your details are incorrect it is important that you do NOT confirm your details. 

You should contact Student Central who can help you update the information. 

My visa details aren't showing up on the personal details screen - is this a problem?

Our enrolment system will not always display your visa information so don’t worry if you see ‘Not Applicable’ for your visa details.

Do I have to provide an emergency contact, and if so, who should they be?

Yes. It is important that you provide UOW with someone to contact in the unlikely case that there is an emergency on campus. 

Your emergency contact can be anyone you trust to respond to a personal situation like a family member or close friend. 

What is the difference between Current Session Address and Permanent Home Address?

Upon enrolment you will have to provide UOW with two addresses:

1. One for where you will be living during each academic session (current session address); and
2. One for your home address where we can contact you out of session. 

Don’t worry if the two addresses are the same, you’ll be able to copy them across at the click of a button.  If your details change at any time, you’ll be able to update your address through SOLS ‘personal details’.

Back to top

Selecting an offer

What do I do if I don’t have any offers?

If you can't see any offers, you will need to contact the Future Students team for assistance. 

I have multiple offers, what do I do?

Firstly, you will need to select the offer for the degree that you want to enrol in.

When you have done this, the enrolment system will automatically update, displaying that you as having an activated enrolment for that offer.

I’ve been given an offer through UOW’s Early Admission Program, but I want to accept my main round offer?  

You will be able access the enrolment system even if you have previously completed the enrolment process for your early admission offer. To do this:

  1. Log in to the UOW enrolment system, and select your new offer
  2. Withdraw from your previous subjects; and
  3. Enrol in your new subjects.

Back to top

Subject and course enrolment

Why do I have default subjects?

Some courses have core subjects that you must complete. 

The enrolment system will pre-populate the information for you, all you have to do is click the ‘Add’ button, it’s that simple.

What subjects do I have to enrol in?

To find the subjects required to enrol in will be detailed in the First Year Enrolment Guide for your course, or the Course Handbook (relevant to your continued studies). If you're enrolling in a postgraduate course, you should refer to the UOW Postgraduate Course Handbook

NOTE: For 100, 200, 300 and 400 level subjects, please refer to first, second, third and fourth year subjects respectively.  Normally in your first year at University, you will only need to enrol in 100-level subjects, for e.g., ACCY111.

How many subjects am I supposed to enrol in?

Domestic undergraduate students have the option of enrolling in as many subjects as they like. To complete an undergraduate course within the time-frame, i.e., three (3) years, students should be enrolling in four (4) subjects per session.

NOTE: If you are enrolled in less than three (3) subjects* you will be considered a part time student which can affect Government benefits.

If you are enrolling in a postgraduate course, you may not need to enrol in as many subjects as an undergraduate student. Be sure to consult your course's entry in the UOW Postgraduate Course Handbook.

*please note law students must be enrolled in four (4) subjects per session for their first year.

When I try and enrol it says ‘Course constraint’. What do I do?

This probably means that you are trying to add a subject that doesn't correspond to your degree.  Remember to check the First Year Enrolment Guide (if you are a new student), or Course Handbook for returning students.  If you are still having issues, please contact the Future Students team for assistance.   

I’m having problems entering my subject codes, what do I do?

You will need to ensure the subject code you are trying to enter is correct.  For e.g., subject codes need to be seven digits, make sure there isn’t a space between the letters and numbers for codes with seven digits (ACCY111), and that there is a space for codes with six digits (LAW 111). 

If you are entering the number correctly and you are still experiencing issues, this could be due to:    

  1. The last date to add a subject has passed (refer to Key Dates)
  2. The subject quota is 'Full'
  3. There is a Course Constraint (see above); or 
  4. You have reached the maximum points for enrolment into the session.  

For assistance, please contact Student Central for assistance.

 I have credit for prior (CPL) learning – what subjects can I enrol into?

Before you can finalise your enrolment, you will need to liaise with your Faculty who can help you with appropriate subject selection.  Faculty office contacts are as follows:

  1. Business:
  2. Engineering and information Sciences:
  3. Law, Humanities and the Arts:
  4. Science Medicine and Health:
  5. Social Sciences:

 I only enrolled in one subject, where can I add the rest?

If you completed the online enrolment process with only one subject, you CAN change/add/withdraw additional subjects through your SOLS account.  To do this: 

  1. Log into SOLS; and
  2. Select 'Enrolments / Variations' (from the left hand menu.

Do I have to enrol in the following session’s subjects all together?

If you are not sure what subjects you will be taking in the following session, i.e. Spring after Autumn session, you are not required to enrol during that session.

You have plenty of time to enrol before each session commences.

What if I have more than one course offer?

If you have an offer for more than one course you will need to make sure you only have a completed enrolment for your course preference, i.e. if you change your mind after you have finished an enrolment, you will need to withdraw from the existing course and return to enrol in your chosen course.

NOTE: It is the students responsibility to withdraw from courses you will NOT be studying before the Census date to ensure you do not incur a debt for those subjects.  If you do not know the Census date, you can check this on via the Key Dates page, or through your SOLS under the 'Enrolment and Variations' area. 

How do I select a minor/major?

Some courses allow you to select minors or majors as part of the enrolment process.  However, some courses do NOT.  Don’t worry if you are unable to change the information at the time of enrolment, you can always change it through SOLS at a later date. 

For more information on minors/majors, visit the Majors and Minors information on the Manage Your Enrolment web pages. 

Back to top


When are Fees due?

Students will not incur fee liabilities until the relevant sessions Census date.  The Census date changes from session to session and is the last date to:

  1. Pay Fees
  2. Withdraw from subjects without paying for them; and
  3. The last date to change HECS / HELP billing options (if eligible).  

You can find our the relevant census date by checking the Key Dates page, or through the 'Enrolment and Variations' menu in SOLS (for that session).

Can I change my preferred payment option?

Yes, you can change your payment option (billing) through SOLS.  Remember, this needs to be done before the relevant sessions Census date.  To do this: 

  1. Log into SOLS
  2. Open the Fees menu (select Help-Loan Option)
  3. Click on the 'Maintain' button for your default billing type; and 
  4. Follow the prompts.  

If you wish to defer your fees, you will need to provide your Tax File Number during these steps.  Please ensure you familiarise yourself with all the information provided before you agree and continue.  When agreed:

  1. Submit your new billing preference (ensure you double check your billing type and TFN details are correct).   

NOTE: Remember this must be done before the relevant session Census date.

What are HECS-Help and SA Help?

HECS-Help is an Australian Government Scheme that allows ‘eligible’ domestic students to defer their fees.  SA-Help is a loan which covers the compulsory Student Services and Amenities Fee.

NOTE: HELP-Loans and SA-Help are only available to Australian Citizens or Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holders. Whatever payment option you decide on, remember to finalise options and payments by the session Census date (which is the last date to withdraw without financial penalty (refer to Key Dates).  If you do NOT settle your payment option by the relevant Census date, you may be at risk of having your enrolment cancelled.

What if I don’t have a TFN yet – Can I still enrol?

Yes, you can enrol in your course without a Tax File Number (TFN).  A TFN is only required if you are an eligible student using the HECS-HELP billing option. 

To progress your enrolment:

  1. You need to select ‘upfront’ as your billing option (for now as this does not ask for a TFN); and
  2. Will need to change it to HECS-HELP (through your SOLS account) after you have received your TFN.

NOTE: Once you have received your TFN, remember to change your billing option to HECS-HELP through SOLS.  You will have only have until the Census date of the session you are enrolling in.

I’m paying upfront; do I have to read and understand all payment options?

Yes, even if you are paying your fees upfront, you still need to read and acknowledge all forms on the SOLS ‘Help Loan Option’ tab.  This will ensure you have read and understood all payment options, and can select the ‘full upfront payment’ as your billing option at the end.

Where can I get more information about fees?

UOW fees will depend on your student type.

Please refer to the Fees and Assistance webpage outlining fees and charges students may incur while studying at UOW.

Back to top


What is the survey and why do I have to do it?

The enrolment survey is an Australian Government mandated questionnaire that informs institutional decision making and reporting. 

It is really important that you answer questions honestly as your responses will contribute to planning for support services at UOW.

What if I don’t know the answer to some of the questions?

If you do not know the answer, you can leave the question blank.

Back to top

Photo upload

What will the photo be used for?

The photo that you upload will be used for your UOW Student ID Card after the first year enrolment.  You will need to keep your Student ID with you at all times: 

  1. Student ID's can be used as UOW Library cards (access printing, scanning and copying services)
  2. Student ID's identify students (especially during examination periods); and
  3. You will need your Student ID to verify your identity on Campus. 

Do I have to upload a photo?

Uploading a photo will save you time when you go to collect your Student ID.  However, if you are unable to upload a photo, simply skip the step.  You can always get a photo taken by UOW Staff at a later date.

Are there requirements for the photo?

Yes.  There are requirements for your photo to meet before it is accepted.  You can find a full list of requirements online.

NOTE: The system will allow photos which do not meet the requirements, however, if your photo doesn’t meet our standards, a new photo will have to be taken which will result in some delays.

I don’t like my photo, can I change it?

Yes, you can change your photo at any time before you finalise your enrolment on the system.  However, once you have received your email summary, your photo will be finalised in the system. 

If your Student ID is generated and you don't like the photo, you will need to order a replacement card from Student Central (ground floor, building 17).  This will incur a cost of $10.00.

My photo won’t upload, what do I do?

Double check the file format.  UOW suggests converting the image into a JPEG or a PNG before attempting to upload the photo again. 

Remember, this step is not compulsory so you do not have to upload a photo to complete your enrolment.

Back to top


How will I know that I have completed my enrolment properly?

Your enrolment will be complete once you have emailed yourself the enrolment summary.  This is done on the final enrolment screen.

What does this screen show?

The summary screen is the final screen in the enrolment system.  It is a record of all the data you have entered.  If there are any mistakes, you should change it before sending your enrolment summary to your email.

Do I have to email myself the summary and what email will it go to?

Yes, you do have to email the summary to yourself as this will act to finalise your enrolment.  This will be emailed to the recovery email which you entered on the personal details page.  

Once you have done this you will be locked out of the enrolment system and as such, any changes will need to be made through the SOLS.

Back to top

Need more help?

Contact us at Student Central.

Last reviewed: 3 January, 2019