Applications are welcome for Honorary Clinical Academic appointments to the School of Medicine (SOM). SOM offers Clinical Academic appointments at differing levels depending on the professional and academic qualifications and experience of the applicant. Final decisions are at the discretion of the School of Medicine Clinical Academic Appointments Committee. Please click here to view the Clinical Academic Appointments Flowchart.
The term “honorary” means that the appointees will not be paid employees of the University (although we do offer casual payment if honorary staff are involved in making significant, regular and time-consuming contributions to our teaching program).
As at May 2019, 526 Clinical Academic staff are active Honoraries of the School of Medicine.
Why become an Honorary Clinical Academic?
Honorary Clinical Academics enjoy the normal privileges of an academic member of staff and have access to the below resources and opportunities, as well as receiving an Honorary Clinical Title (and a certificate recognising this). Honoraries are also privileged with the ability to assist in the selection of, and the teaching and learning of future clinicians, and are able to include such skills on their CVs for future training roles and recognition. Some specific benefits include:
- Access to the University’s library facilities and online resources at Wollongong and Shoalhaven campuses.
- Access to the School’s Faculty Development Program (FDP) and Academy of Clinicians.
- Opportunities to participate in the strategic direction and development processes of the School.
- Access to the School’s Learning Centre at Wollongong campus.
- Opportunities to participate in UOW collaborative research activities, UOW-hosted educational, cultural, social and professional development activities.
- Public recognition of your academic affiliation with the University of Wollongong, including a certificate outlining your honorary appointment.
Appointments are available as a Clinical Tutor, Clinical Lecturer, Clinical Senior Lecturer, Clinical Associate Professor, and Clinical Professor. The criteria for appointments are generally consistent with those for standard academic appointments at the University of Wollongong, although the types of evidence that may be accepted as indicating distinction or academic excellence in one’s discipline have been broadened to take into account the different contexts of clinical practice. Clinical Academic appointments expire within 3 years, and those who have contributed to the school in some way may be automatically offered an appointment renewal at the end of their appointment term.
How to apply
- To begin the application process, you will first need to complete the self-registration process (if you do not have an internal UOW email address eg. email@example.com. If you already have a UOW IT account you should be able to skip step 1.)
Honorary Application Form
- Once you have fully completed the self-registration process, please complete your application at the below link:
Access Honorary Clinical Academic Online Application Form
- Please ensure you have included any attachments required prior to submitting, this can include a copy of your CV or Australian Citizenship details. The University has a legal obligation to ensure that its employees are legally entitled to reside and undertake employment, both in a paid or unpaid capacity, in Australia at all times. A Visa Holder Work Entitlement form must be completed by persons who are not Australian/New Zealand citizens and wish to enter into an employment relationship, either paid or unpaid, with the University. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you will require a copy of this form to attach to your application. If you cannot complete all questions, your application can be saved, for completion at another time.
- Applications at the level of Clinical Associate Professor and above must also attach a covering letter in which they explain why they believe they meet the criteria for appointment at the level sought, as well as two referees explaining how the applicant meets these criteria. Criteria for positions at Clinical Associate Professor and above are outlined on page 2 of the attached FlowChart
- Renewal of appointments - It is expected that Honorary Clinical Academic staff provide evidence of contributions when their renewal falls due, should they wish to have their Honorary Clinical Academic Appointment reinstated for a further 3 year term. Activities from the below categories are accepted as follows*.
(one per annum)
|Category 2 |
(any two or more per annum)
(any three or more per annum)
- GP Preceptor
- Hospital Preceptor
- Prize/Scholarship Contribution
- Admissions Interviews
- OSCEs Examiners
- Assessment marking
- Contribution of Exam Questions
- Research manuscript/presentation with UOW attribution
- Research grant submission with a UOW academic
- Research collaboration with a UOW academic
- Lecture and/or Tutorial
- Casual CBL /Clinical Skills Tutoring
If you have any questions regarding the application process please don’t hesitate to contact Sheri Roberts via email email@example.com.