A wide range of potential research topics are available for PhD and Masters students.
Energy Efficiency and Decarbonization of Buildings
- Thermal energy storage using phase change materials
- Desiccant cooling technology
- Commercial building energy efficiency
- Off-grid renewable heating and cooling
- Understanding thermal comfort and energy consumption in Social Housing.
- Energy efficiency, comfort and health in low-income households.
- Health and comfort implications of low energy retrofit strategies.
- Energy monitoring, energy efficiency and indoor environmental quality in buildings
- Demand management in electricity networks using renewable generation, energy storage and demand reduction enabled appliances
- Auxiliary services for grid-connected renewable distributed generation and microgrids
- Solar photovoltaics performance evaluation and optimisation
Modelling and Decision Making
- Building data analytics and deep learning
- Building performance simulation
- Monitoring of building energy performance
- Internet of Things, Big Data and smart buildings
- Construction supply chain development in indigenous communities: empowerment vs dictate
- Vertical extension of buildings using cold-formed steel
- Construction 4.0 – moving construction into the digital age
- The role of construction for the circular economy model
- Occupant behaviours and thermal ergonomics including physiology and sensor development