Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 60-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re among the top 250 universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
Number one university in Australia
In the federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT), last updated May 2018, UOW ranked equal first in Australia for Teacher Education, receiving the highest average ranking across all indicators.
Number one university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) 2018 ranked UOW overall as the number 1 university in New South Wales, based on the average rank of all of the 13 scales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW overall in QILT 2018
- Highest rank in NSW/ACT universities in eight study areas in QILT 2018
- Business and Management
- Creative Arts
- Science and Maths
- Teacher Education
- First in NSW/ACT for Learning Resources, Learner Engagement, Skills Development and Generic Skills on QILT 2018
- Highest ranked university in NSW for Learner Engagement and Generic Skills Scale on QILT 2018
- Highest ranked university in NSW on QILT 2018 for study area indicators:
- #1 for Skills Development for Computing and Information Systems
- #1 for Graduates in Full-Time Study for Engineering
- #1 for Overall Satisfaction and Median Graduate Salary for Law
- #1 for Learning Resources for Teacher Education
- #1 for Generic Skills for postgraduate Business and Management
- #1 for Generic Skills and Good Teaching Scale for postgraduate Science and Mathematics
- #1 for Median Graduate Salary for postgraduate Engineering
- #1 for Median Graduate Salary for postgraduate Communications
Employer Graduate Satisfaction Survey
Employers are more satisfied with UOW graduates, than graduates from all other NSW universities. The Australian Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) 2017 Employer Satisfaction Survey ranked employers’ overall satisfaction with UOW graduates at fifth in Australia – the highest ranking achieved by any NSW-based university.
Globally ranked among the top 250 universities
- 218th in the world – QS World University Rankings 2019
- 201-250 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019
- 246th in the world – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2018
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 16th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2019
- 32nd in the world – Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2018
Rated among Asia-Pacific region's best universities
- 41st – Times Higher Education Asia-Pacific University Rankings 2018
Globally rated a five-star university
- 5 Star rating - QS World University Rankings 2018
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- 98% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2015 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- More than 75% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates in the 2019 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
- Rated 23rd in the world for graduate employment rates
- Rated 148th in the world for partnerships with employers
- Ranked in the 181-190 band overall
Top 50 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 50 in world 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by subject
- Rated 44th for Energy Science and Engineering
Top 100 in world 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by subject
- Civil Engineering
- Nanoscience & Nanotechnology
- Transportation Science & Technology
- Mining & Mineral Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Hospitality & Tourism Management
Top 100 in the world 2019 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
- Engineering and Technology
Top 150 in the world 2019 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
Top 150 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Materials Science
Top 150 in world 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by subject
- Atmospheric Science
- Instruments Science & Technology
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Top 200 in the world 2019 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
- Business and Economics
- Arts and Humanities
- Physical Sciences
Top 200 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Accounting and Finance
- Art and Design
- Business and Management Studies
- Communications & Media Studies
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Engineering – Electrical and Electronic
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Science
- Social Sciences and Management
The federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2018 as the best university in New South Wales and the ACT for Law based on the average rank of all 13 scales.
UOW Law has also been ranked 90th worldwide, 12th in Australia and 4th in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
World-class Engineering and Technology
UOW Engineering and Technology have been ranked 87th worldwide, 6th in Australia and 2nd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject (2019).
Global Teaching Excellence
The University of Wollongong has been recognised among the world’s best institutions for teaching excellence, receiving a Spotlight Award in the 2018 Global Teaching Excellence Awards.
UOW was the only Australian university to be listed as a finalist for the prestigious Global Teaching Excellence Award (GTEA) for two consecutive years.
UOW in the media
Collaboration brings University’s journalism knowledge to the world..
UOW tops NSW in QILT Employer Satisfaction Survey results..
Finance student honoured to receive Bradman Foundation Scholarship..
UOW shines in student completion and graduate employment..
UOW’s MBA program among Australia’s top 8..
Vice-Chancellor launches UOW College Hong Kong..
UOW DeputyVice-Chancellor honoured..
A Royal welcome as entrepreneurs head to UOW for Pitch@Palace..
Royal launch for UOW’s global leaders degree..
International visit strengthens Zhengzhou University relationship..
Asia Immersion Program wins International Student Award..
Graduate employability remains high at UOW..
UOW shortlisted for international higher education award..
Good Universities Guide ranks UOW Australia’s best public uni for student experience..
UOW climbs 81 places in research world rankings..
Wollongong on display for Hong Kong students..