Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 60-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re in the top two per cent of universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
Number one university in Australia
UOW was rated Australia's leading public university for undergraduate student experience in the 2018 Good Universities Guide.
In the federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT), last updated January 2018, UOW scored the highest average ranking in Australia based on performance across all indicators for Law and Paralegal Studies, and Teacher Education.
QILT (January 2018) has ranked UOW as number one in Australia for Science and Mathematics.
Number one university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) has ranked UOW as the number 1 university in New South Wales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW in QILT 2018
- Highest rank in NSW/ACT universities in seven study areas in QILT 2018
- First in NSW/ACT for Teaching Quality, Learning Resources, Learner Engagement, and Skills Scale in QILT 2018
- #1 in NSW for Generic Skills for postgraduate Business and Management
- #1 in NSW for Median Graduate Salary for postgraduate Engineering
- #1 in NSW for Generic Skills for postgraduate Science and Mathematics
Employer Graduate Satisfaction Survey
Employers are more satisfied with UOW graduates, than graduates from all other NSW universities. The Australian Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) 2017 Employer Satisfaction Survey ranked employers’ overall satisfaction with UOW graduates at fifth in Australia – the highest ranking achieved by any NSW-based university.
Top 2% of universities in the world
- 232nd in the world – QS World University Rankings 2018
- 251-300 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018
- 201-300 band – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017
- 313th in the world – U.S. News Best Global Universities Ranking 2017
- 264th in the world for research quality – 2016 Leiden Ranking
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 17th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2018
- 30th in the world – Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2017
Rated among Asia-Pacific region's best universities
- 40th – Times Higher Education Asia Pacific University Rankings 2017
Globally rated a five-star university
- 5 Star rating - QS World University Rankings 2018
- UOW is one of only two Australian universities – and the only publicly funded university - to achieve 5-stars in all student experience measures in the 2018 Good Universities Guide: Overall experience; Skills development; Student support; Teaching quality and Learning resources and learner engagement
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- 98% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2015 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- More than 75% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates in the 2018 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
- Rated 73th in the world for graduate employment rates
- Rated 167th in the world for partnerships with employers
- Ranked in the 151-200 band overall
Top 50 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 50 in the world Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017 by subject
- Energy Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
Top 100 in the world 2018 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
Top 150 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Education and Training
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Materials Science
Top 200 in the world 2018 QS world rankings by subject
- Accounting and Finance
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Art and Design
- Business and Management Studies
- Communication and Media Studies
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Engineering - Electrical and Electronic
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Studies
- Law and Legal Studies
The federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2017 as the best university in New South Wales and the ACT for Law and Paralegal Studies.
UOW Law has also been ranked 85th worldwide, 8th in Australia and 3rd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2018).
World-class Engineering and Technology
The federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2017 as the best university in Australia for Engineering and second among all universities in NSW and the ACT for Computing and Information Systems.
UOW Engineering and Technology have also been ranked 96th worldwide, 7th in Australia and 3rd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject (2018).
Recognition of our international focus
- Ranked 71st of the top 200 most international universities in the world - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015/2016
- Winner of the prestigious 2015 Hong Kong - Australia Business Association (NSW Chapter) Award, recognition of our contribution to the region through international education.
- Winner of a Business Excellence Award for Education and Training in the 2015 AustCham Westpac Australia-China Business Awards, recognising a long-term collaboration between the University of Wollongong and leading universities, research organisations and industry bodies in China.
UOW finalist in the HEA Global Teaching Excellence Award 2017
Finalist in 2017 The Global Teaching Excellence Awards (GTEA), recognising teaching excellence. UOW was among 27 institutions shortlisted from among the top universities in Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
UOW in the media
Collaboration brings University’s journalism knowledge to the world..
UOW tops NSW in QILT Employer Satisfaction Survey results..
Finance student honoured to receive Bradman Foundation Scholarship..
UOW shines in student completion and graduate employment..
UOW’s MBA program among Australia’s top 8..
Vice-Chancellor launches UOW College Hong Kong..
UOW DeputyVice-Chancellor honoured..
A Royal welcome as entrepreneurs head to UOW for Pitch@Palace..
Royal launch for UOW’s global leaders degree..
International visit strengthens Zhengzhou University relationship..
Asia Immersion Program wins International Student Award..
Graduate employability remains high at UOW..
UOW shortlisted for international higher education award..
Good Universities Guide ranks UOW Australia’s best public uni for student experience..
UOW climbs 81 places in research world rankings..
Wollongong on display for Hong Kong students..