Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 60-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re among the top 250 universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
Number one university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) last updated in January 2019, ranked UOW overall as the number 1 university in New South Wales, based on the average rank of all of the 13 scales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW overall in QILT 2019
- Highest rank in NSW/ACT universities in four study areas in QILT 2019
- Creative Arts
- Teacher Education
- First in NSW/ACT for Learning Resources, Learner Engagement, Skills Development and Generic Skills on QILT 2019
- Highest ranked university in NSW for Learner Engagement and Skills Development on QILT 2019
- Highest ranked university in NSW on QILT 2019 for study area indicators:
- #1 for Skills Development for Computing and Information Systems
- #1 for Graduates in Full-Time Study for Engineering
- #1 for Learning Resources for Teacher Education
- #1 for Generic Skills for postgraduate Business and Management
- #1 for Graduates in full time study for postgraduate Engineering
One of Australia's best for employer satisfaction
The 2018 QILT Employer Satisfaction Survey ranked employers' overall satisfaction with UOW graduates at 87.8% (85% national average), placing UOW 3rd in Australia for public universities and 2nd in NSW overall.
Globally ranked among the top 250 universities
- 218th in the world – QS World University Rankings 2019
- 201-250 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019
- 246th in the world – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2018
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 16th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2019
- 32nd in the world – Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2018
Rated among Asia-Pacific region's best universities
- 37th – Times Higher Education Asia-Pacific University Rankings 2019
Globally rated a five-star university
- 5 Star rating - QS World University Rankings 2018
Global leader in social and economic impact
- Ranked equal 13th in the world - Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings 2019
Research engagement and impact (EI) 2018
- 95% of UOW’s disciplines were rated as “High” or “Medium” for research impact
- UOW ranked equal 7th out of 40 universities by number of ‘High’ and ‘Medium’ rated impact case studies and ranked equal 16th out of 40 universities by number of ‘High’ rated impact case studies
Excellence in research for Australia (ERA) 2018
- 90% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2018 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- 73% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates in the 2019 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
- Rated 23rd in the world for graduate employment rates
- Rated 148th in the world for partnerships with employers
- Ranked in the 181-190 band overall
Top 50 in the world 2019 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 50 in world 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by subject
- Rated 44th for Energy Science and Engineering
Top 100 in world 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by subject
- Civil Engineering
- Nanoscience & Nanotechnology
- Transportation Science & Technology
- Mining & Mineral Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Hospitality & Tourism Management
Top 100 in the world 2019 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
- Engineering and Technology
Top 100 in the world 2019 QS world rankings by subject
- Materials Science
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
Top 150 in the world 2019 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
Top 150 in the world 2019 QS world rankings by subject
- Communication & Media Studies
- Earth & Marine Sciences
Top 150 in world 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by subject
- Atmospheric Science
- Instruments Science & Technology
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Top 200 in the world 2019 Times Higher Education World Rankings by subject
- Business and Economics
- Arts and Humanities
- Physical Sciences
Top 200 in the world 2019 QS world rankings by subject
- Accounting and Finance
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Business and Management Studies
- Economics & Econometrics
- Engineering – Electrical and Electronic
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Sciences
- Statistics and Operational Research
The federal government's Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2019 as the best university in New South Wales and the ACT for Law based on the average rank of all 13 scales.
UOW Law has also been ranked 90th worldwide, 12th in Australia and 4th in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
World-class Engineering and Technology
UOW Engineering and Technology have been ranked 87th worldwide, 6th in Australia and 2nd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject (2019).
Global Teaching Excellence
The University of Wollongong has been recognised among the world’s best institutions for teaching excellence, receiving a Spotlight Award in the 2018 Global Teaching Excellence Awards.
UOW was the only Australian university to be listed as a finalist for the prestigious Global Teaching Excellence Award (GTEA) for two consecutive years.